>Don't laugh, Peter.  Is it that the poet is a woman, is 91, is an ex-teacher,
>that's funny?  Or that she is from Buckinghamshire?  With the
>exception of the Buckinghamshire bit, which is admittedly hilarious, I'd
>like something similar to be written about me, in about 50 years.
>Or maybe it's United Press that's funny and I just don't get it because
>of cultural distance and a personal inability to consider publishers
>as other than tragic.
>Mairead

I don't actually find any of it  amusing, except the word Champion, but if
anything rather sad.It's some kind of market, some profit-making exercise,
concealed behind a lot of hype, and rather sadly people are taken in by it,
and believe that real experts have recognised their worth.  It goes on
everywhere: poetry competitions, awards, magazine editing, invitations to
avant-garde conferences.....

/Peter