I have to say that I personally welcomed Simon's comments concerning the need to discuss the wider issues that affect our profession. The museum profession, for example, seems miles ahead of us in terms of its ability to focus in on the issues relevant to the national/governmental arena. It was no surprise that a member of their profession was originally offered the MLAC job, and that, when it was turned down, someone with a library background was subsequently appointed. Does anyone honestly believe that archives are perceived as being at the forefront of the 'Information Profession'? I worry that we are in danger of being pushed to the rear of MLAC, in all senses. Only by addressing these issues head-on do we have a hope of improving our stature. At least Simon has had the courage to instigate this.