Dear all,

I've been asked, this week, to produce original parish registers for someone, who claimed not to be able to use a microfilm reader due to a disability to their hand (incidentally, they didn't seem to have any problems taking notes when using un-filmed material!) I refused on preservation grounds, and nothing more came of it, but it did make me wonder whether we are obliged, under DDA, to produce original records, rather than microform, to people with disabilities which make using microform readers difficult. If so, where do we draw the line? Do we just accept people's claims, or can we reasonably ask for proof of a medical complaint?

Sam Robins
Assistant Archivist
Dudley Archives & Local History Service

This e-mail contains proprietary information some of which or all of which may be
legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or
transmission error has misdirected the e-mail, please notify the author by replying
to this email. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail.