Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea.  I promised to summarise the
results:

There were no offices offering concessions on copying charges other than to
schools (and strictly speaking only LEA schools) and none offered
concessions for research services.  Concessions/exemptions were offered
where an entry charge was made: exemptions for unemployed, those on means
tested benefits and people in full time education; concessions for the over
60s.

There were one or two examples of higher charges for particular
circumstances (e.g. speed of service) or customer (e.g.
"business/commercial").  In the case of research services the increase
tended to be in the region of 100% on the basic charge.

Elizabeth Hughes
County Archivist
01273 482356