Help for ZOOARCH Archives

ZOOARCH Archives

ZOOARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ZOOARCH Home

ZOOARCH  June 2018

ZOOARCH June 2018

Re: processing animals that were killed euthasol

Deb Bennett <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Jun 2018 21:24:49 -0600

Kate, I work with the carcasses of horses that have been euthanatized with
a whole array of different chemicals. The one thing all of them have in
common is that, in enough quantity or concentration, they will kill
mammals. Normally the substance is injected into the jugular vein and
before it kills the animal, the heartbeat will carry it to all parts of
the body through the whole of the circulatory system; therefore, the blood
will have a high concentration of it -- typically much higher than any
muscle, even the heart because it takes very little of it to stop the
heart. Of the organs, the liver will have the highest concentration
postmortem.

It's highly unlikely that you would poison or injure yourself by handling
euthanatized tissue. However, if you were to EAT parts of the carcass, you
would poison yourself. We therefore take extra precautions to make sure
that people wash after dissecting fresh carcass tissue, wear gloves at all
times, and we have plenty of gloves always on hand because they get
punctured and ripped pretty frequently. We also lock up the carcass at
night in a room that no dog, cat, coyote, fox, or bird can get into,
because they will be attracted to lapping up any blood and/or especially
to feasting on the tasty liver.

When we finish class, which lasts no longer than a week because, again,
our carcasses are not salt-cured nor embalmed but fresh, then as a last
step we completely deflesh the skeleton, put the bones in one of my
maceration tanks, and drown it in water for the next year until we pull it
out for purposes of making a boxed skeleton specimen. All the flesh that
comes off the bones, either during the formal dissection part of the class
or during the last day's quicker defleshing, is double-bagged in heavy
plastic lawn & leaf bags. We have a disposal service that comes and picks
up the bagged material; they bury it in the 'household toxic waste'
section of a local landfill. If you are at a school, and especially as it
seems your specimens are a lot smaller than even a 500-lb. pony, you might
be able to dispose of bodyparts in an actual incinerator. When I give
subscription courses at various colleges or universities, depending upon
the country I'm in, there may be different rules for final disposal; some
of them allow burial, and this works fine BUT you have to be sure the
remains are buried deep, so that no scavenger will be able to dig them up.
It's amazing how good their olfactory capabilities are.

Hope this helps -- Dr. Deb