Re: understanding FIR covariates

Jonathan Peelle <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:45:57 -0400

Dear Glad,

I'm not quite sure of how you combined the HRF model and FIR models,
or what the reasoning is behind this - but I'm happy to comment on the
FIR parts below. Sorry if I've missed something critical here.

For an FIR model, the window length sets the total time you are
modeling, and the order indicates how many basis functions to use. So
in your case, let's say you leave the window length at 32 seconds for
all of your models.  Using 1 vs. 14 vs. 26 regressors to model the
response will result in different time-periods for these regressors -
i.e. regressor #6 in the model with 14 time bins will not be
equivalent to regressor #6 in the model with 26 regressors. I'm also
not sure how you set up your model so that a single FIR regressor
would be equivalent to #6 in the other models - but obviously, this
would affect your results as well.

It's hard to say what the "optimal" design is - it depends on your
data and your question! Testing a single bin for an FIR model is not
really making use of the full power of the model - using something
like an F test over all of the columns will probably be more
sensitive. Though, these can be trickier to interpret, which is why
many people prefer using an informed basis set (such as the canonical
HRF). For an FIR model, you probably want to span at least 20 seconds,
and have a bin at least every 2 seconds I would think.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Jonathan

--