Re: Record Owner - definition

"Dodgson, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>

Dodgson, Paul

Fri, 10 Sep 2010 15:32:55 +0100

The problem with this is that the owner suddenly treats it (the information) like their house and the key to the house is in their hands and they then decide who can see it or use it.  In some circumstances this is acceptable but for a council it results in a hugh knowledge management problem, with locked repositories all over the place.  Breaking the "owner" culture is vital to improving knowledge and records management within and organisation

A Council is a body corporate and is not therefore in the ownership of the crown.

Sent: 10 September 2010 14:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Record Owner - definition

Max, I don't think ISO 15489 defines any of owner, author, or creator.

Eleanor, I doubt you actually need to worry about the distinction between creator and author.  That is to say, I can see the difference (e.g. a letter's typist versus the executive who dictated the letter), but that does not mean you have to capture both as metadata.  If you DO need to capture both, then the reason why should be clear, and how to define then should be obvious.  I  can think of one other possibility, namely that you think you need to capture both because you want to conform to e-GMS.  You don't - conformance for its own sake, in this respect, will bring no benefit.

Finally, though Paul has a justifiable view that all records belong to the Council, I suspect you could argue they all belong to Her Majesty the Queen, with the Council and its Officers just being custodians.  But that is a nicety that you can ignore too!  The "owner", for records management purposes, must be the Officer responsible for looking after the records or aggregation.  So, practically speaking, think of the "owner" as being the Officer who would have to give permission to make a significant change to a file - something like changing its title or its access permissions for example.

And, like Max said, good luck.

Marc