PLAGIARISM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PLAGIARISM Home

PLAGIARISM  August 2018

PLAGIARISM August 2018

Re: Petition to ban Essay Mill sites

"Newton P." <[log in to unmask]>

Plagiarism <[log in to unmask]>, Newton P.

Sat, 25 Aug 2018 08:11:02 +0000

No problem at all Mike, we’ve known each other long enough to have a frank exchange of views!

The legal side does get a lot of attention in the media but a lot of people are working hard on other practical ways to limit the influence of contract cheating. I have tried to credit where I can and hopefully list members find them useful. Many can be implemented by individuals and should help.

A number of us wrote a guidance document with the QAA last year. It contains a lot of suggestions for HE providers and individual staff on many different approaches to contract cheating. The authorship group has evolved and we will be developing further outputs, and following up to see if the guidance has made a difference. But for now the guidance is here - http://www.qaa.ac.uk/docs/qaa/quality-code/contracting-to-cheat-in-higher-education.pdf?sfvrsn=f66af681_8

The guidance was just a summary of some of the research that has gone on in this area. Chris Lang and I wrote a book chapter in which we expanded on some assessment design approaches that could help make contract cheating harder. The chapter is here (and the book also has a great chapter from Thomas Lancaster and Bob Clarke with many good suggestions in it) - https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007%2F978-981-287-098-8_38

The next International Day of Action against Contract Cheating is October 17 2018. It is organised from the International Center for Academic Integrity (ICAI) run by Tricia Bertram Gallant. It is about awareness raising, promoting academic integrity and making a statement. Irene Glendinning has put in a huge amount of work organising the day itself - https://academicintegrity.org/day-against-contract-cheating/
If people are interested please ask your institution to sign up!

The ICAI has also produced an Institutional Toolkit to Combat Contract Cheating – downloadable from the link above and reproduced here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bT3MX6fj6_UXAtWllfLVZyYjA/view

The QAA has formally suggested the creation of a UK Centre for Academic Integrity and I believe the aforementioned group will be part of taking those plans forward. It was announced in the latest QAA viewpoint on academic misconduct - http://www.qaa.ac.uk/about-us/what-we-do/policy-and-research/qaa-viewpoint

The Council of Europe has an active project looking at Ethics, Transparency and Integrity in Education (ETINED), working closely with Tomas Foltynek and others at the European Network of Academic Integrity (ENAI). A number of us including Thomas and Irene have contributed towards it and shared our research on contract cheating. ETINED will be involved in the Day of Action and then there is a larger event in December. Later outputs will include recommendations and guidance for the 49 member states  - https://www.coe.int/en/web/ethics-transparency-integrity-in-education/home?desktop=true

Turnitin is of course rolling out Authorship Investigation, a new piece of software and associated resources designed to help detect and deal with cases of contract cheating - https://www.turnitin.com/solutions/authorship-investigation

An Australian project led by Tracey Bretag and Rowena Harper is producing educational resources for a number of different stakeholders, based on the survey work we have done – more are being developed but the ones we have done so far can be downloaded here and many are relevant to the UK - https://cheatingandassessment.edu.au/

Phil