Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  May 2018

PHD-DESIGN May 2018

CFP: Information+ 2018 (Deadline May 15)

Isabel Meirelles <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 May 2018 00:34:55 +0100

Information+ 2018, Interdisciplinary practices in information design & visualization
19-21 October 2018
University of Applied Sciences Potsdam, Potsdam, Germany

Following the success of the inaugural Information+ 2016 in Vancouver, the biennial conference brings together researchers and practitioners in information design and information visualization to discuss common questions and challenges in these rapidly changing fields. Unlike discipline-specific gatherings, Information+ seeks to foster productive exchanges amongst the variety of people involved in the theories, practices and pedagogies of analyzing and communicating information.

Information+ 2018 will include three events: a one-day hands-on workshop [19 Oct], a two-day conference [20–21 Oct], and an exhibition of historic information design [19 Oct – 14 Dec]. The events will take place at the University of Applied Sciences Potsdam (FH Potsdam), which was the first university to offer a study programme in interface design in Germany. It has since gained international reputation for their design-oriented visualization research.

Information+ 2018 is co-located with IEEE VIS, 21–26 October in Berlin. The conferences are separate events, requiring separate registration. By co-locating events, we encourage cross-disciplinary discourse, especially with regards to exchanges between the science and design ‘camps’ of the visualization community.

Keynote presentations will be held by Sandra Rendgen (independent art historian and researcher), Ron Morrison (University of Southern California), Fernanda Viégas & Martin Wattenberg (Google PAIR), and Chiqui Esteban (The Washington Post).

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION:
As an interdisciplinary event, we invite proposals from all fields of professional practice, research, and education in information design and visualization. We welcome submissions on such topics as (but not limited to): the environment, advocacy and law, health and medical applications, social and political issues, cultural analysis and collections, digital humanities, and projects in data journalism. Authors accepted for presentation at the conference will have an opportunity to submit articles for publication in a special issue of an academic journal (to be announced soon).

We encourage both academic and practice-based presentations for the following opportunities:
PAPER PRESENTATION (15 minutes): an abstract [500 Words] with one descriptive figure and 3 keywords.
LIGHTNING TALKS (5 minutes): short abstract [250 Words] with one descriptive figure and 3 keywords.

Submit proposals using Easy Chair: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=info2018
15 May: Submission deadline
02 July: Notification of Acceptance

DIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP:
The Information+ Conference welcomes and encourages participation by people of all backgrounds and identities. We are committed to fostering and sustaining an environment of respect and inclusivity. To increase participation at the Information+ by underrepresented or historically marginalized groups, we are offering up to 10 need-based diversity scholarships. Priority will be given to applicants who have their contributions accepted for presentation at the conference.

For more information and to apply use the form: https://goo.gl/forms/cDtPpVAMQlNN2GhH2
10 July: Application period closes
31 July: Notification sent

MORE INFORMATION: http://informationplusconference.com/

QUESTIONS: [log in to unmask]

ORGANIZERS:
– Marian Dörk, Research Professor, Institute for Urban Futures, FH Potsdam, Potsdam, Germany
– Isabel Meirelles, Professor, Faculty of Design, OCAD University, Toronto, Canada