Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  January 2019

PHD-DESIGN January 2019

"STS - Design - Sustainability" – Session at NordicSTS in June

Egger Stefanie <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 Jan 2019 12:13:47 +0100

Hello everyone,

Happy New Year to all of you!
there will be a Session on „STS – Design – Sustainability“ at the NordicSTS-Conference in June in Tampere, Finland:
Deadline for Abstracts ist he 18th of January.
I´d like to especially invite you to be part of this Session (STS - Design – Sustainability),
but there are several topics that you might find interesting for your work and research,
please find the full Call and the list of Sessions here:

https://events.uta.fi/nordicsts2019/call-for-papers-2/
(please scroll down to see the full list)

below you find the detailed call – I´d be very happy if you could forward this CfA to all the people you think could be interested,
and please feel free to contact me if I can help you out with any further information.
I´m looking very much forward to seeing you soon!

kindest regards,
Stefanie Egger

Design Research and Science and Technology Studies sometimes have a lot in common: Both try to take into account people and things at the same time instead of looking only at one of the two. An important question in both fields is how socio-technical constructs are shaped.

From urban planning to devising everyday objects to creating a digital landscape – one of the most important challenges for designers today is to help create a more sustainable world. Engineers, designers and architects of all fashion conceive of and create the technical world we are surrounded by. However, looking only at the world of artifacts – the technical world – has severe limitations for those who want to promote shifts towards sustainability. We design the things, but we design for humans. So we need concepts and thinking tools that help us to combine the technical and the social world. Intertwining findings from Design Research activities and Science and Technology Studies may be vital for sustainable design and can be fruitful for STS research too.

This special session wants to strengthen connections between Design Research and Science and Technology Studies and at the same time challenge technically focused approaches to design. The session especially welcomes papers and presentations addressing one of the following questions: How can designers encourage more sustainable behavior? Bearing in mind that users and objects configure each other, how can we take into account these processes of co-configuration regarding sustainable design? How can STS perspectives help designers to implement sustainable products and practices?

All types of research tackling sustainability design issues as well as challenging frameworks of meaning and contexts of practice, and presentations connecting research in STS and design are welcome in this session.

–––––
DI (FH) Dr. Stefanie Egger
FH | JOANNEUM Gesellschaft mbH
Department Medien & Design
Institut Design & Kommunikation
Informationsdesign / Ausstellungsdesign /
Communication, Media, Sound & Interaction Design
Alte Poststraße 152, 8020 Graz
T: +43 (0)316 5453 8652
http://idk.fh-joanneum.at/
www.fh-joanneum.at