PHD-DESIGN December 2018

SV: Hubris and Health

Svenja Jaffari <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Dec 2018 09:35:41 +0000

Dear Ken (and other followers of this discussion)

In 2013 Syddansk Sundhedsinnovation/ The Health Innovation Centre of Southern Denmark (which is a (public) innovation unit of the Region of Southern Denmark) and Health Innovation Zealand (another Danish region) initiated a public-private innovation project called "Hand free Bath/ Håndfrit Bad", to develop a new kind of bathroom for the Danish hospitals. The overall goal of the project was to develop a bathroom that can minimize the risk of contamination for patients by e.g., reducing the need for touch in the bathroom and, with the help of nudging/ behavioral design, guiding the users towards better hygienic behavior.
The project was financed by the Market Development Fund in Denmark.

What made the project significant is, that it was built on a private-public partnership between several private companies, such as Nobak, Grohe, Philips Danmark, Sunservice, Badmodul, Clemmens & Co, Cphsoft, Circle consult - and public partners, including the Health Innovation Centre of Southern Denmark (where I work), two hospitals (Odense University Hospital, Slagelse Hospital), and Production, Research and Innovation research unit (PFI) at the Region of Zealand.

A prototype of the hand free bath has been developed and is currently being tested in several hospitals in Denmark. The prototype includes a toilet and bath module, and is a transportable cabin solution. Please see with English subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ejaWG9Rxo

The report which PFI wrote on the test and evaluation by users is unfortunately in Danish, for those who do speak Danish, here is the link: https://www.regionsjaelland.dk/Sundhed/Innovation/Igangvaerende-initiativer/Documents/Rapport%20om%20brugerunders%C3%B8gelse%20fra%20projekt%20H%C3%A5ndfrit%20Bad,%20Juni%202016.pdf

... I mention this project because I think that, when we - as everyone is actually affected by some of these social challenge at some point in time - want to address social challenges  that affect our physical and mental health, and change the environment and behavior (meaning the very ingrained work and life routines), we have to build on partnerships between companies that develop and design for e.g. healthcare, hospitals/ clinics/ places of healthcare, innovation experts and facilitators (who have an insight into both institutions), and patients/ families.

In the case of Chris' student, it is indeed a great design and could possibly work, but even with these very small nudges and new tools, work processes change (e.g., when to refill and clean the hand sanitizer, and who is responsible for this).

I encourage designers - I am one by training as well - to work across PPP (public private partners), to think laws and regulations, to think users - not just patients or staff but broader -, to understand how ingrained and steady a hospital environment/ or healthcare practice is, and to work towards small changes and guide users through these (meaning how to actually be able to successfully - and sustainably - implement these).

This set aside, I am still learning as well (which of course is supposed to be good - to always be learning :)) ... as design (research) can be quite ingrained as well :)

Regards and wishing you all blessed holidays,
Svenja

Best regards

Svenja Jaffari
Innovation consultant, PhD in User-Centred Design
Health Innovation Centre of Southern Denmark, Innovat. Buildings and Operations
E-mail:
Mobile:
 +45 23245917

Syddansk Sundhedsinnovation
Forskerparken 10 G + H, 5230 Odense M, DK
www.syddansksundhedsinnovation.dk ; https://www.innosouth.dk/