PHD-DESIGN  April 2010

PHD-DESIGN April 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Are visual approaches to design outdated?

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Apr 2010 07:53:11 +0800

text/plain

Dear Meredith,
Thank you for your message. You express exactly the general state of mental
play of the design field on this issue .
" Visuals ... have a huge potential when we are talking about understanding
complex problems" and "... *may* [my emphasis] be more than just
representations", Visuals *may* "... have the potential for predicting
directions or outcomes"

This has been the speculation for decades. All of these are tentative and
appear as yet to be without evidence that visuals can actually do these
things. I'm wondering if they are simply wishful thinking and false claims?

A test: "In complex design situations (multi-feedback loop and more than 3
dimensions) is there ANY evidence visuals can accurately predict the
behaviour of dynamic design outcomes?

If anyone has any evidence, I'd be very interested to see it as it would
open up a significant new area of design education and practice. It would
also open the door to Visual Design being able to start to justify claims
that design thinking approaches apply to more complex areas such as business
strategy and  other real world complex design situations.

Best wishes,
Terry