Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  May 2018

PHD-DESIGN May 2018

Re: "What is Design Thinking" and "Improvement In and Through Design Thinking"

Philip Whiting <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 May 2018 04:14:54 +0000

Dear Terry

I must admit I am quite fascinated by your very insightful comments. For me and my work with business groups in helping them to understand and apply Design Thinking to deal with and resolve complex problems, I have not really considered the physical process that precedes a thought entering the mind, yet I see it now as quite relevant especially given that everyone I deal with to date seems to think differently when we run our Design Thinking workshops. Each struggles with different aspects, but we usually get around this to some degree by carefully creating a psychologically mixed group.

I suppose the question in part is - is this due to differing forms of education, social and cultural experience that may or may not impact upon actually how each of us thinks as we mature or do we physiologically think in much the same way as individuals and the education etc., come into play in other ways or is there something else again entering the mix?

I have been mentoring (from time to time) psychology students and here again it would appear there are many cross-overs between Design Thinking and Psychology that I certainly did not really appreciate.

Regards

Philip

Dr Philip Whiting FDIA MCSD
Design Thinking & Research