Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  May 2018

PHD-DESIGN May 2018

Re: "What is Design Thinking" and "Improvement In and Through Design Thinking"

Philip Whiting <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 May 2018 01:53:03 +0000

Dear Chuck

Thank you for the link to your two papers which I have found an interesting take on the area of Design Thinking. Where you have identified seven main modes of purposeful thought in the past  I have identified what I believe are four main modes of Design Thinking. (1) Judgemental Thinking where we make preferential decisions, (2) Routine Thinking which is concerned with calculations and Technical Data, (3) Analytical Thinking or reasoning and (4) Creative Thinking concerned with Innovation and the generation of random ideas. I have also identified drawing as visual research to be a critical element of design thinking (for designers).

Based upon my own research and writing on the subject based upon earlier work by Heideggar (What is called Thinking)  and others I have argued that Design thinking is synthetic in that a coherent overall design will emerge; it is abductive in that it creates a blueprint for realising that intention; it is hypothesis-driven in that ‘primary is the design hypothesis’ as successive loops of ‘what if’ and ‘if then’ questions allow the hypothesis to become more sophisticated and so unfold the direction and eventual solution. As the above cycles iterate, design thinking is opportunistic; the designer seeks new and emergent possibilities using sketching or drawing. Design thinking is dialectical, in that the designer provides the central filter for often-conflicting demands, constraints and uncertainties while, at the same time, envisioning the conceptual possibilities again through the medium of drawing.

Essentially I argue that design thinking is a scientific process, but it is our use of 'intuition' or reading between the lines, (where a designer knows through the Design Thinking process that something is right but they cannot prove it as such) that sets this thought process apart from the scientist.

Regards

Philip

Dr Philip Whiting FDIA MCSD
Design Thinking & Research

15 Nariel Street Albion
Queensland 4010 Australia
0419 706 906

www.zeroplus.com.au

Confidentiality: This e-mail is from ZEROPLUS. The contents are intended only for the named recipient of this e-mail. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any use, reproduction, disclosure or distribution of the information contained in the e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please reply to us immediately and delete the document from your system. Any personal views expressed in this communication are those of the individual sender unless the sender expressly states them to be the views of ZEROPLUS. We cannot warrant that this e-mail or any attached files are free from computer viruses or other defects. The responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting from use of the attached files is the responsibility of the user.