PHD-DESIGN December 2018

Re: Non-anthropocentric design research

Erik Sandelin <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Dec 2018 12:37:44 +0000

Hi,

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions! I will try to compile a list with the results in the coming weeks. I just need to finish that course paper first...

Ken: To be fair I specifically asked for “design research” references from the design research community and that’s what I (we!) got.

Temple Grandin actually inspired one the characters in my storybook, Designer and Goldcrest, that I mentioned in my previous message. The server seems to have messed up the link so here’s a second attempt: http://www.sorgenfripress.se. There are lots of references in that book that are relevant to this thread, I think.

I also want to say that we should be careful not to romanticise the work of Temple Grandin, especially if you hold a non-speciesist position. Why? Anna Williams’
“Disciplining animals: Sentience, Production, and Critique” is a worthwhile read. It discusses Grandin’s “humane” slaughter designs and critiques the assertion that “appreciation of animal sentience necessarily runs counter to their exploitation as industrial resources”.

I note that most of the references supplied in reply to my call, privately or on-list, refer not to biotic nonhuman others, but to things, objects, systems, relations, tasks. As with other “post-“ and “non-“ concepts, “non-anthropocentric” invites for a very wide array of interpretations and claims. Perhaps too wide to be useful?

On a philosophical (side) note, I'm currently reading a couple of critiques of flat ontologies and distributed agency and I found them helpful for navigating this tricky theoretical terrain. You may want to check out Andreas Malm’s “The Progress of this Storm” for an anti-latourian take on the need for human exceptionalism in the warming condition, Andrew Culp’s critique of “connectivism” in “Dark Deleuze”, and critical animal studies-scholar Zipporah Weisberg’s “The Trouble with Posthumanism: Bacteria are People Too” for a loud warning of the depoliticising effects of a posthumanism that too uncritically celebrates hybridism.

All the best from sunny Malmö,

Erik

Malm, A. (2018). The Progress of This Storm: On Society and Nature in a Warming World. London: Verso.

Sandelin, E. (2018). Designer and Goldcrest. Malmö: Sorgenfri Press.

Weisberg, Z. (2014). The Trouble with Posthumanism: Bacteria are People Too. In: Sorenson, J., ed. Critical Animal Studies. Thinking the Unthinkable. Toronto: Canadian Scholars’ Press, 93–116.

Williams, A. (2004). Disciplining animals: Sentience, Production, and Critique. The International journal of sociology and social policy, 24(9), ss. 45–57.