PHD-DESIGN May 2018

Gibson and Affordances

Richard Herriott <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 May 2018 21:38:54 +0000

Dear PhD Listers:
Thanks for your responses.
Thanks Yoad David Luxembourg for your comment. I agree there is more to cognitive perception than Gestalt. To that end I am looking at other models. Today it's Gibson and oddly, the model says little that is actionable - can anyone think of an aspect of it that is translatable into a guide?  All I can think of is that at a general level, a designed thing should look clearly as if it can do what it looks like it can do. That means one should not mask the affordances in pursuit of other ends. There might also be something in it related to working with and not against conceptions of space.
Lily - thanks for the C. Ware book reference! and I am sending orders down to the librarian to obtain a copy for me with all haste. I had a peek at the table of contents and it looks like I can get some decent gleanings from it.  To others, I second Lilyīs suggestion.  As with so many books, why didnīt I read this earlier?
Don - thank you for your comment. I should clarify that I am simply working through various models of visual cognition. I started with Gestalt but thatīs not enough. Next, by chance, is Gibson. I understand his work has roots in Gestalt but he moves on and away from that. Your insight is helpful because the texts I have read donīt spell out the schism.

This part captures my attention. You wrote : ". He ((Gibson))  believed that you could not separate perception into domains such as vision, audition, haptics, spatial orientation, ...   They were all

intertwined.  And you couldn't separate perception from action and from the environment.  And in turn, you could not separate it from people's goals."

This runs very much against the reductionist view of things which, when taken to an extreme, is a misleading approach. And I also see that brain functions are all running as a unit in that they are designed to work all at the same time. They develop all at the same time and in a particular order too (altering the order affects the development). Order matters.
Noting that point about Gibsonīs holistic views of cognition - and looking specifically at the visual part - where is there something that plain-speaking jobbing designers can use? I have dealt with affordances above (and note also yours was the very first design book I ever read, twenty-one years ago. Someone recommended it to me on a plane trip).
I note with concern the business of Gibsonīs ideas being about spatial movement and that the examples I listed were more "Gestalty".  I can only say thereīs a lot of rubbish out there and I picked some of it up.
That said I can see how the ladders/compressed lines/circles and horizons are related to Gibson because they are about the affordances in the environment and not about Gestalt-type dots/lines examples.
Bearing all that in mind, I very quietly like Oliver Twist, ask can anyone cite other examples of how Gibsonīs concepts can be used by Janice and James Designer?
Edmunde Burke wrote that every subject expands indefinitely. A corollary is that if you look closer into the details you only find more details, all the way down.  This seems to be the case with Gibsonīs theories.