Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  September 2018

PHD-DESIGN September 2018

Re: Discussion about future of the PHD-DESIGN list

Filippo Salustri <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 1 Sep 2018 08:15:53 -0400

Luke et al,
I would support this effort so long as there was a way to ensure there is
broad acceptance of it among the current membership of the list.

It seems to me we'd need:
* a process to design the constitution, and
* a process to "vote" on its adoption.

People more cognizant about Jiscmail's rules & policies than me would have
to be involved from the outset to make sure any hard constraints imposed by
the platform itself are observed.

My greatest interest at this point is in the adoption vote. What percentage
of the membership would have to vote for the result to count? What
percentage of the vote would be needed to adopt the constitution, whatever
form it may take? Would there be only a single vote, or could a negative
vote result in modifications and a second vote on the revised constitution?
Would that be the only iteration?

It seems to me that if we cannot agree on the voting mechanism, then
there'd be no point pursuing the constitution itself.

Just to kick things off, I'll make a suggestion.

Since implementing a constitution would be a really big step for the list,
I should think a significant majority would be needed. Obviously, the vote
would be anonymous, but it would have to be rather overwhelming.
There's 2 measures that matter: number of votes cast as a fraction of total
membership, and number of votes in favour of the constitution.
I would suggest that given the significance, at least a 2/3's majority of
the entire membership could be used.
To ensure this, we'd need 82% of all members to vote, and 82% of those
voting members to vote FOR the constitution, for a positive outcome. Or,
alternatively, if 100% of members vote, then we'd only need 67% to vote
'yes'. In any case, at least 67% of the membership would have to vote for
adoption of a constitution to have any chance. Can we expect 67% of the
membership to vote?

One immediate question is: Is 67% enough? If not, what should it be?

I'd further suggest that:
* if only between 50% and 67% of the whole list membership vote in favour,
then this should trigger a revision of the proposed constitution and
subsequent re-vote, but
* if less than 50% of the entire membership votes in favour, then the whole
constitution thing should be cancelled.

Thoughts?

\V/_  /fas

*Prof. Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.*
Associate Chair, Mechanical Engineering, Ryerson University
"I do not share your view that the scientist should observe silence in
political matters." -Albert Einstein
EMAIL <[log in to unmask]> | WEB <https://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil/> | ORCID
<https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3689-5112>