Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  September 2018

PHD-DESIGN September 2018

Re: Real world product development for users

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Sep 2018 19:35:49 +0100

Dear Francois, Ken and all,

Thank you to Francois and Ken for their responses.

My interest and question are both specific rather than general, though on rereading my post I realised it was too terse and not as clear as it might have been.

The article I pointed to (http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1063293X18798001) contains information about two specific formal methods  that Xiaomi use in their new product development process (ie. their design process for successful innovative new products).

Both of Xiaomi's methods are mathematically based and are central to Xiaomi's success in product design.

1. There is a reference to Xiaomi's use of an enhanced PageRank algorithm  to investigate customer needs. Using  the outputs of this algorithm  Xiaomi's design managers 'select appropriate function modules of the new product to meet customers’ demand'.

2. Xiaomi  design managers optimise the structure and membership of the specific design organisation  for designing a product. The Design (NPD) managers do this by using a 'multi-domain matrix (MDM) to identify the technical coordination dependency strength among different teams and then to measure the NPD organization’s complexity according to its entropy. By proposing the External Entropy of Cluster (EEC) and Internal Entropy of Cluster (IEC), we develop an entropy-based two-stage clustering criterion of design structure matrix (DSM) to optimize the NPD organization. The first-stage clustering criterion maximizes the added average dependency strength of DSM, and the second-stage clustering criterion minimizes the Weighted Total Entropy, including the IEC and EEC. An industrial example is provided to illustrate the proposed model. The results indicate that the clustered DSM can reduce the organization’s complexity.'

Both of Xiaomi's mathematically-based approaches are based on what are now relatively conventional design practice methods. For example see:

Rebentisch, E.  et al (2016). Measurement of Organizational Complexity in Product Development  Projects. Proceedings of PICMET '16 http://www.picmet.org/db/member/proceedings/2016/data/polopoly_fs/1.3250948.1472156884!/fileserver/file/680677/filename/16R0083.pdf.

And
Martínez-Berumen, H. A. et al (2014). Developing a Method to Evaluate Entropy in Organizational Systems. Proceedings CSER 2014. https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/82443204.pdf

Xiaomi's methods are examples of  many mathematically-based ways  to improve on older traditional design methods, and especially to address the design process needs of more complex products.

Although such mathematically-based design methods have been in use by product design organisations for a couple of decades,  it is not clear how engaged academic  design education and design research have been with them. The curricula of design education and PhD research programs typically are written at a higher  level in which such methods might be included or not.

Members of this list are in a good position to know of their department's engagement with such mathematically-based design methods. I would be grateful for information  on such methods in academic design education  and design research either on-list or off-list ([log in to unmask]).

My interest is in collating information on the use of high level mathematical tools  in design education and research to develop a short primer in this area.

Regards,
Terence

===
Dr Terence Love
Department of Design and Built Environment
Curtin University
+61 (0)434975848
===