Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  May 2018

PHD-DESIGN May 2018

Call for participation: DIS 2018 workshop: Designing interactive systems to support and augment creativity

Peter Dalsgaard <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 May 2018 12:18:27 +0100

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: DESIGNING INTERACTIVE SYSTEMS TO SUPPORT AND AUGMENT CREATIVITY - A ROADMAP FOR RESEARCH AND DESIGN

A workshop at ACM Designing Interactive Systems (DIS) 2018 on June 10, 2018, in Hong Kong, co-organized by the Centre for Digital Creativity, Aarhus University, and the Interface Ecology Lab, Texas A&M University

FOCUS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE WORKSHOP
The aims of the workshop are to examine and discuss the current state of research in designing interactive systems to support and augment creative work, and to outline a roadmap for future research initiatives. The workshop will explore methodological issues and approaches, overarching trends and developments, exemplary cases, and future initiatives to study and design systems and tools to augment creative practices.

This workshop will offer a forum for discussing the current state of research into the design of creativity-augmenting systems, and to build on this to discuss and outline a roadmap for future research in this field. While an increasing number of researchers in the community address topics in this field, we yet have a limited overview of the scope and foci of these efforts. What we do know from recent surveys is that even though research into creative uses of IT has grown, it skews towards controlled experiments with novel tools developed by researchers; more- over many contributions lack definitions of creativity, making it hard to compare findings across studies.

Our aim is with the workshop thus to establish a forum for peers to discuss where we are at now, and how we can best make progress from here. We will seek to foster discussions that address both methodological and theoretical issues, e.g. how do we study the use of digital systems to support creative practices, and how can we understand this, as well as exemplary cases and potentials of novel approaches and technologies.

More information influding full workshop description here:
http://projects.au.dk/cocreate/workshop-designing-interactive-systems-to-support-and-augment-creativity/

TO PARTICIPATE
Participants submit a position paper in relation to the aforementioned themes in order to participate. This forms the basis for the presentations during the workshop and grounds the subsequent discussions. In order to participate, interested parties must therefore do the following:
1) Submit a position paper (2-4 pages SIGCHI Extended Abstracts) describing methodological, theoretical, or case-oriented contributions.
2) Participants will be divided into sub-groups to read and comment on each others contributions prior to the workshop, and to identify common points of interest.
3) Participants give a short presentation of their own work, as well as the group- work, during the workshop.

DEADLINE AND NOTIFICATION DATES
Deadline for first round of submissions: May 15, notifications May 20. Deadline for second round of submissions: May 25, notifications May 30. Please send your proposal to Jonas Frich Pedersen, [log in to unmask]

ORGANIZERS
Peter Dalsgaard, Kim Halskov, Jonas Frich Pedersen & Michael Mose Biskjaer, Centre for Digital Creativity, Aarhus University
Andruid Kerne & Nic Lupfer,  Interface Ecology Lab, Texas A&M University