Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  April 2010

PHD-DESIGN April 2010

Re: Life drawing robot offers insight into art, design, creativity and aesthetics

Patrick Tresset <[log in to unmask]>

Patrick Tresset <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Apr 2010 22:48:38 +0100

Dear all,

A few disjointed remarks:

It seems that none of you or not many of you...took the time to look at the site  for the research project http://www.aikon-gold.com where you can find some accurate information. (not much yet)

I find very strange and regrettable that people (on an academic discussion list) criticize/evaluate other people's research in such a way based on a few lines from a weekly magazine and an image!!!

Unfortunately the New Scientist article is misleading, (I disagree with some important things written). ..
The image of S. Hawkings was produced by a system which was my MSc project (2006): Aikon-i.
I still use it. People like the images produced...me too for some of them,  in the galleries you will see that a few that I find good.
However Aikon-i was a small project inspired by a manner I used when sketching...but it is stupid and furthermore blind to what its doing.

The Aikon-ii project is still at early stages...and it has nothing to do with Aikon-i

On the site you won't see many times the words: Art, artist or creativity. For the moment it would be a sterile waste of time for me to get into these kind of territories.

"...What computer scientists think is art... " and all remarks about geeks and so on...
Educated supposedly artistic, "creative" people using these kind of gross stereotypes is very sad and unfortunately not uncommon.

Before I begun on this research in 2003. I was a practising artist (painter/draughtsman) for more than 20 years...
There are three small sketches on the home page.

About Harold Cohen I know very well his work...read all his papers..met him a couple of time..His work is very interesting.
My work is different as I am interested in perception/illusions/delusions...and I have only been working on this idea for the past 7 years..still more than 30 years to go !!!!

All that said there are  some interesting thoughts too in this discussion...and I had quick look at other threads...interesting..

All the Best

Patrick Tresset