Help for NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Home

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  July 2018

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING July 2018

Call for Artist - Online exhibitions programme Extreme Views, Art Gene

"Alejandro Ball (PG Research)" <[log in to unmask]>

Alejandro Ball (PG Research)

Thu, 19 Jul 2018 11:48:13 +0000

Dear all,

I apologise for any cross posting....

I have been announced as their 18/19 online guest curator, and wanted to pass around an open call opportunity for the online exhibition programme "Extreme View", hosted by Art Gene.

Please pass this call for artists around to any you feel would benefit and be good for this opportunity!

## Digital U: Extreme Views
Art Gene are pleased to announce the online exhibition programme, Digital U : Extreme Views, starting Summer 2018. Curated by guest curator Alejandro Ball (PILproject), Digital U : Extreme Views will examine the radical nature of artistic activities in digital space.

## About the Extreme Views Project
Extreme Views is Art Gene’s 4 year programme of research, engagement with communities and delivery of art works within the extreme post-industrial coastal landscape of Furness, England’s North West and internationally.

In this time of extreme – art and artists take a stand, act and deliver strategically, effect change locally, work with the mechanisms of local government, and make a difference to the lives and landscapes of England’s largest isolated coastal community.

Art Gene’s Extreme Views is a conflict resolver: examining opposing, visual, perceptual, physical, societal and political extreme views. Delivering artworks, from digital apps to artist’s sheds, portable sculpture to Extreme Viewing exhibitions.

The work builds on Art Gene’s strategic vision for the Northwest, but has a wider national resonance and relevance, which will be addressed by disseminating our strategies and methodologies through web based reporting and streamed events.

Extreme Views supports artist, engages communities in place-making in some of the most deprived areas of the country, effecting change for coastal communities.

## Artists Brief
We are currently searching for two artists/collectives to complete a four artist programme.

Each artist will have a two-month online exhibition in Art Gene online Digital U exhibition space and accompanying publicity. Exhibitions remain online as part of our digital archive.

Deadline – 3rd August 2018

Artist fee – £125.00

## Who can apply?
Artists and creatives that use the online as a medium; this includes Performance, Software and Coding and Conceptual Art – in addition to Media Artworks such as video.

Digital U is inspired by our long-established U-Hang Exhibition Programme, in which, with a spirit of curiosity, artists place artworks into surprising places within our building.

In both opportunities we encourage an experimental, test-bed, research-led approach.

For the forthcoming 2018 programme, Digital U : Extreme Views, works that have a central focus on social acceleration are very much encouraged.

A precursor to this programme is artist Benjamin Grosser and his current Digital U exhibition, Textbook – a browser plugin that reshapes the Facebook social media platform into a sculptural experience for a user.  (See below for links).

## How to Apply
To apply for this opportunity, artists must submit a proposal for new work to develop, or a proposal that progresses the research and output of an already present project in their practice (include exhibition history).

Please also include images and/or links, and ensure the written proposal does not exceed 600 words in length.

Applications should also include a brief Artistic Statement and Biography (each no longer than 150 words) and provide 3 examples of previous works where available.

All application must be submitted as a single Zip file.

Please email your application and/or any questions to Alejandro Ball:

Alejandro D. Ball

DJCAD PhD Candidate

Visual Research Centre (VRC)

Dundee Contemporary Arts,