Re: Depression and Exercise!

Mike Feighan <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Jun 2012 07:40:33 +0100

I think that one of the paper's key findings was to avoid recommending exercise as a means of reducing depressive symptoms, as the evidence does not seem to support this. Perhaps this is as a response to Exercise referral schemes in the UK, in which "prescribed exercises" (possibly devoid of meaning)  see refs below (Pavey et al and Williams et al), were used without attention to the fact that exercise (which the published paper Chalder et al 2012, acknowledges Exercise as being extremely difficult to measure) were recommended in much the same way that taking a pill would would alleviate symptoms. NICE (2006) critiqued exercise referral schemes and the current paper has  perhaps justifiably put a nail in the coffin for such schemes. Intersetingly a number of authors  (ie Fox and Taylor) have been involved in the current research and also in Pavey et al.

If one were to ensure meaning is maintained as Anne suggests, then benefits are likely to occur. These however may be quite idiosyncratic, as meaning is very individual. RCTs are poor at measuring heterogeneous data, so qualitative types of methodologies are perhaps more powerful in conveying value of exercise. In order for the current paper (Chalder et al 2012) to measure the effectiveness of exercise they my well have had to have reduced the extraneous variables to show the effect. these very same variables that may well bring meaning to the individual. If one were to be controversial it might be suggested that the paper is stating the obvious:  Prescibed exercises (devoid of meaning) do not show an effect when taken as an adjunct to treatment as normal for people with depression.

Exercise still brings about a number of positive changes for people- particularly physiological ones, in impact studies (Hughes et al 2009 and Oja et al 2011) the benefits have been well documented. The individual idiosyncratic nature of exercise and peoples response to it, possibly necessitates methodologies that really capture what exercise means for people (Whitaker 2005 and Priest 2007). Exercise still justifies being recommended but amongst a number of other meaningful activities, not all need to bring about physiological changes as the health benefits may occur in the absence of physical exercise- so long as meaning is taken into account (Clark et al 2011)

Clark, F., Jackson, J., Carlson, M., Chou, C.P., Cherry, B.J., Jordan-Marsh, M.A., Knight, B.G., Mandel, D., Blanchard, J., Granger, D.A., Wilcox, R.R., Lai, M.Y., White, B., Hay, J., Lam, C., Marterella, A. and Azen, S.P. (2011) Effectiveness of a lifestyle intervention in promoting the well-being of independently living older people: results of the Well Elderly 2 Randomised Controlled Trial.  Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.  Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21636614. Accessed on 15.05.2012

Hughes, S.L., Seymour, R.B., Campbell, R.T., Whitelaw, N. and Bazzarre, T. (2009) Best-Practice Physical Activity Programs for Older Adults: Findings From the National Impact Study. American Journal of Public Health February. 99(2), 362-367

NICE (2006) Public Health Collaborating Centre for Physical Activity: A rapid review of the effectiveness of exercise referral schemes to promote physical activity in adults. London. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence

Oja, P.,Titze, S., Bauman, A., de Geus, B., Krenn, P., Reger-Nash, B. and  Kohlberger, T. (2011) Health benefits of cycling: a systematic review. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and science in Sports. 21(4), 496-509

Pavey, T.G., Anokye, N., Taylor, A.H., Trueman, P., Moxham, T., Fox, K.R., Hillsdon, M., Green, C., Campbell, J.L., Foster, C., Mutrie, N., Searle, J. and Taylor, R.S. (2011) The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of exercise referral schemes: a systematic review and economic evaluation. Health Technology Assessment.15(44),1-254. Summary version available at http://www.bmj.com/highwire/filestream/533981/field_highwire_article_pdf/0.pdf accessed 17.05.2012

Priest, P. (2007) The healing balm effect: using a walking group to feel better. Journal of Health Psychology. 12(1), 36-52

Whitaker. E.D. (2005) The bicycle makes the eyes smile: exercise, aging, and psychophysical well-being in older Italian cyclists. Medical Anthropology. 24(1),1-43

Williams, N., Hendry, M., France, B., Lewis, R. and  Wilkinson, C. (2007) Effectiveness of exercise-referral schemes to promote physical activity in adults: systematic review. British Journal of General Practitioners. 57, 979-986

Mike Feighan
Lecturer/Practioner in Occupational Therapy

Faculty of Health, Education and Society
Plymouth University
Peninsula Allied Health Centre
Derriford Road
Plymouth
Devon    PL6 8BH

Tel:  01752 588823

Mondays and Tuesdays only

‘High quality education for high quality care’