Help for MECCSA-PGN Archives

MECCSA-PGN Archives

MECCSA-PGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MECCSA-PGN Home

MECCSA-PGN  December 2018

MECCSA-PGN December 2018

Three-D Issue 31, December 2018 - Quality journalism, internet and politics (not a Brexit edition!)

Einar Thorsen <[log in to unmask]>

Einar Thorsen <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Dec 2018 00:00:33 +0000

Dear colleagues,

I’m pleased to announce that issue 31 of MeCCSA's newsletter, Three-D, is now available.

Web version of newsletter: http://www.meccsa.org.uk/news/newsletter/
Direct link to PDF file of newsletter (1.9Mb): http://bit.ly/ThreeD-Issue31

In this issue:
1 Quality journalism, internet and politics (Einar Thorsen)

Cairncross Review & Media Policy
2 Government reviews and inquiries: why we should use our academic voice (Julie Firmstone)
4 What should the Cairncross Review propose we do about local news? (Martin Moore)
5 ‘High Quality Journalism’ or Tendentious Trash? (Julian Petley)
7 What should the Cairncross Review do? (Natalie Fenton)

Media Policy
9 The Online Advertising Tax (Christian Fuchs)

Internet & Politics
11 Facebook, Nick Clegg & the Future of Democracy (Declan Mcdowell Naylor)
12 Organised and ‘Ambient’ Racism and Racial Toxicity in Digital Platforms (Eugenia Siapera)
13 The dynamics of a counter-narrative against right-wing populism (Elizabeth Poole)
14 Iceland’s Orangutan (Eva Giraud)
15 Data protection as the means to children’s rights online (Sonia Livingstone)

MeCCSA Annual Conferences
16 MeCCSA 2018: London South Bank University
17 MeCCSA 2019: University of Stirling
18 MeCCSA 2020: University of Brighton

Reports and Initiatives
19 Chair’s report (Anita Biressi)
23 Climate Change Network (Julie Doyle & Michael Goodman)
24 Policy Network (Allan Leonard )
26 Practice Network (Joanna Callaghan)
27 Radio Studies Network (Josephine Coleman)
28 Social Movements Network (Rosalind Brunt)
29 Postgraduate Network Report (Tianyang Zhou) and 2019 Call for Papers

Three-D is the official newsletter of MeCCSA. Its aim is to provide news and comment of interest to the media, communication and cultural studies fields. Contributions do not necessarily reflect the views of the Association, or its Executive Committee.

If you would like to write for or advertise in the next edition of Three-D, please get in touch with me by the end of March 2019 at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

We aim to produce two issues of Three-D per year. Electronic copies are sent free to all members of MeCCSA, but please forward this email to colleagues who might not be on the distribution lists.

All the best,
Einar

Einar Thorsen, PhD
Associate Professor of Journalism and Communication

Head of Research and Professional Practice
School of Journalism, English and Communication

Phone:   +44 (0)1202 968838
Twitter:   http://twitter.com/einarthorsen
Website: http://journalismstudies.info

Media Action Against Rape (MAAR):
http://www.maar.in

Communication Officer of MeCCSA:
http://www.meccsa.org.uk/

BU is a Disability Confident Employer and has signed up to the Mindful Employer charter. Information about the accessibility of University buildings can be found on the BU DisabledGo webpages. This email is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email, which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Bournemouth University or its subsidiary companies. Nor can any contract be formed on behalf of the University or its subsidiary companies via email.