MCG May 2012

Re: Internet Access

Richard Le Saux <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 May 2012 09:58:45 +0100

Hello,

I too can confirm that a significant minority of the museums which are members of Sussex Museums Group (48 members at present) do not have internet access.  Many of them are volunteer run museums.  Volunteers use their own computers (at home) in order to communicate on behalf of their organisations.

Rgds

Richard

Richard Mark Le Saux
Senior Keeper, Keeper of Local History & Archaeology
4-5 Pavilion Buildings
Brighton
BN1 1EE

01273 292856

www.brighton-hove-pavilion.org.uk
www.brighton-hove-museums.org.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tehmina Goskar
Sent: 16 May 2012 09:43
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Internet Access

Dear Arran and Nick,

In fact I don't think you should assume that if a museum has a website it
(as in the museum itself) has internet access.

While trying to find out about this in Cornwall where a large proportion of
the region's 70+ museums and sites are volunteer-run, very small affairs
which mainly seek to keep their doors open and share collections with
visitors and locals, may have a website or webpage but they are not run
from the actual museums themselves.

I have not been able to start a study to follow this up but I intend to,
particularly in the light of recent consultation on superfast broadband and
its future potential.

I think it is extremely important that you look at museums which are so
run, which may not be accredited and therefore somewhat out of the loop of
mainstream reports.

All the best,
Tehmina

On 16 May 2012 00:35, Nick Poole <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Arran,
>
> I know of nothing UK-wide that would answer this question. The old Digest
> of Museum Statistics (DOMUS) began to look at this, but would now be
> hopelessly out of date.
>
> I imagine that the most comprehensive dataset would be that managed by the
> Arts Council standards team in their administration of Accreditation. While
> it wouldn't contain data on Internet access, it would provide up-to-date
> data on URL for museum websites. One might reasonably infer that if a
> museum has a website, it would have Internet access (so that it could
> access its CMS, or whatever system is used to upload content). The list of
> Accredited museums is not an open dataset (perhaps it should be?), but I
> imagine that it can be queried and data supplied from it.
>
> At the risk of hi-jacking the thread, I also wanted to flag up the
> research the Collections Trust has just done with SHARE Museums East
> looking at 'Collections Access and the use of technology in museums'. The
> report can be downloaded from
> http://www.sharemuseumseast.org.uk/shares/resource_139.pdf.
>
> Although based on a tiny sample, and therefore not statistically valid,
> there is a chart in the report which asks people to identify the
> technologies to which they have access when at work in the museum. 100%
> said that they had Internet access at work.
>
> Some other (slightly startling) figures to emerge from that report:
>
> - 75% have LAN access
> - Just over 50% have access to a printer
> - Nearly 80% had access to their own email account
> - 95% agreed with the statement 'Technology lets me have a conversation
> with my museum's audience'
> - BUT only 15% said that they had access to their own PC*
>
> *I'd love to know if this is an anomaly, or whether it is standard
> practice for a majority of museum staff not to have a PC of their own?
>
> Finally, to leave you with four quotes from participants in the study,
> because I think they're broadly indicative:
>
> 'The digital agenda and its link to access for collections is not being
> incorporated into organisation wide strategies, or through the development
> of individual digital strategies.'
>
> 'Engagement with digital media is not written into job descriptions or
> project development and it should be.'
>
> 'Local authority IT systems present a major barrier to digital involvement
> and ability to provide good access to collections, social media and
> interaction with audiences.  IT departments will often not support the
> software museums need to use, whilst system 'security' blocks staff from
> using social media and particular types of software.'
>
> 'Broadband access is an issue in areas of the region, which has a major
> impact on the opportunities which can be effectively developed.'
>
> All best,
>
> Nick

Dr Tehmina Goskar, MA AMA

http://tehmina.goskar.com/
Twitter: @tehm

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg

Notice to recipient:
The information contained in this electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed
and may contain information which is privileged and confidential, the disclosure of which is prohibited by law.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately.
Thank you in anticipation of your co-operation.

You can visit our website at http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk

Please consider the environment, only print out this email if absolutely necessary.

Please Note:  Both incoming and outgoing Emails may be monitored and/or recorded in line with current legislation.

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg