MCG May 2012

Re: OPEN DATA LICENSING

Giuseppe Sollazzo <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 May 2012 14:40:31 +0100

Hi Linda,
the CC Zero is possibly the most popular option also in academic
environments. It's a good way to formalize a Public Domain release.

We are still considering whether to use it, as Oxford University did
(http://data.ox.ac.uk/datasets/), or try the Open Government Licence as
Southampton did (http://data.southampton.ac.uk
<http://data.southampton.ac.uk/> - here for the actual OGL
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/)

A good starting point is a website that OKFN have released to help
organisations like ours consider the issues relative to licences:
http://opendefinition.org/guide/data/

Best regards,
Giuseppe

http://discovery.ac.uk/files/pdf/Licensing_Open_Data_A_Practical_Guide.pdf

> At the moment, one of my JISC funded projects, the OER IPR Support
> Project www.web2rights.com/OERIPRSupportis creating an animation on
> Open Data Licensing ready in the next couple of months which I will
> share with this forum.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Naomi
>

> Naomi Korn