Help for MCG Archives

MCG Archives

MCG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MCG Home

MCG  June 2012

MCG June 2012

Re: What are the best conferences for people like us?

Melissa Terras <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:51:57 +0100

Hi folks,

There is also "Digital Humanities" - an international conference that
varies in destination from year to year, looking at work which allows
people to undertake study in the arts, humanities, and heritage
sectors using digital means and methods. This year's conference:
http://www.dh2012.uni-hamburg.de/

Digital Resources in the Arts and Humanities is a UK conference which
should run next year - not happening this year due to the fact its
usual time slot clashes with the Olympics, amidst other issues.

A new conference called the Digital Humanities Congress is happening
in Sheffield this year in September.
http://www.shef.ac.uk/hri/dhc2012

best

Melissa

On 12 June 2012 19:22, Mar Dixon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Yes, we're working on Museum Camp now for later this year (October ish).
>  Follow @museumcamp on Twitter and  http://museumcamp.org/   which I
> promise will be updated soon (coordinating schedules at the moment).
>

> On 12 June 2012 12:42, Andy Mabbett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> On 12 June 2012 11:16, Mike Ellis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> > Which are the most valuable / most useful conferences and meetups for
>> people
>> > doing digital in the cultural heritage sector?
>>
>> Try to get to unconferences:
>>
>>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconference
>>
>> They are free or cheap to attend and use the "open space" model to
>> allow all attendees to participate. They may sound glib, but are an
>> incredibly powerful way of learning and sharing expertise.
>>
>> Though not yet formally announced, there are library and museum
>> unconferences planned for Birmingham later this summer. Those of you
>> in local authority (funded) museums might also like to look out for
>> GovCamp/ LocalGovCamp unconferences.
>>
>> On a smaller scale, but using a similar model, many towns now have
>> regular "Social Media Cafe" or "Teacamp" type meetings.
>>
>> --
>> Andy Mabbett
>> @pigsonthewing
>> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

>>       website:  http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/
>>       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg
>>      Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/museumscomputergroup
>>  [un]subscribe:  http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/email-list/
>>

> --
>
> Mar Dixon
> www.mardixon.com :: @mardixon <http://www.twitter.com/mardixon>
> www.culturethemes.com :: @culturethemes<http://www.twitter.com/culturethemes>
> www.kidsinmuseums.org.uk:: @kidsinmuseums<http://www.twitter.com/kidsinmuseums>
>
> *Visit **http://www.kidsinmuseums.org.uk
> *

>       website:  http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/
>       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg
>      Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/museumscomputergroup
>  [un]subscribe:  http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/email-list/

Melissa M. Terras MA MSc DPhil CLTHE
Reader in Electronic Communication
Co-Director UCL Centre for Digital Humanities
Department of Information Studies
Henry Morley Building
University College London
Gower Street
WC1E 6BT

Tel: 020-7679-7206 (direct), 020-7679-7204 (dept), 020-7383-0557 (fax)
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/slais/melissa-terras/

Digital Humanities Quarterly: http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg