Help for MCG Archives

MCG Archives

MCG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MCG Home

MCG  June 2012

MCG June 2012

Re: How do you increase digital knowledge within the museum sector?

Nick Poole <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Jun 2012 21:33:15 +0100

Hi Mia et al,

As I mentioned on twitter, I think the results of the very limited
research we did recently with SHARE Museums East into attitudes and
values towards digital in museums are relevant here.

To summarise (and noting that our research was far from exhaustive!), we
found a very digitally-literate workforce, most of whom make active use
of technology in their daily lives. The people who participated in our
research covered a range of roles and demographics, but were almost all
habitual users of online platforms.

What we did find is that this digital literacy is inhibited once people
get to work. Whether it is by prohibitive policies or lack of kit and
time, some of the museums we surveyed did not seem to have internalised
digital into the various aspects of their work and were thereby
disempowering their staff.

For me, this goes back to the recent discussions at the Open Rights
Group - I think this is only partly a skills question. It is
predominantly a question of the extent to which the museum regards
engagement as its core purpose, and the extent to which it perceives
online as an optimal method for achieving it. From an equally limited
survey of 30 museums mission statements which I did last year, there is
still very little in the core identity of some museums that relates to
openness, discovery, sharing or participation, and less still which
prioritises online strategies for achieving them.

If you are interested in reading the findings of the 'attitudes and
values' research, it is up at
http://www.sharemuseumseast.org.uk/shares/resource_139.pdf.

All best,

Nick