Help for LIS-LINK Archives

LIS-LINK Archives

LIS-LINK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-LINK Home

LIS-LINK  June 2012

LIS-LINK June 2012

ALPSP International Conference - Winner of SAGE travel grant announced

"Lesley Ogg (ALPSP)" <[log in to unmask]>

Lesley Ogg (ALPSP)

Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:03:20 +0100

Stephen Buck, EResources and Periodicals Librarian at Dublin City University
Library has won the 2012 prize by answering 'Why should librarians be
talking to publishers in 2012' with:

Librarian: We need to talk.
Publisher: Why?
Librarian: I don't want things to go sour between us.
Publisher: We are under a lot of stress.
Librarian: We'll manage.

The SAGE judging panel awarded the prize to Stephen for his original take on
the brief of capturing why publishers and librarians need to work together
in partnership.

"We saw in Stephen's entry the strong need for two-way dialogue between
publishers and librarians to constructively address the challenges each
faces by working together as partners, especially in challenging times,"
said Clive Parry, Global Marketing Director, SAGE. "The ALPSP International
Conference provides an ideal environment for publishers to learn from and to
share with the library community and we're delighted to be able to
facilitate such dialogue with this travel grant."

The travel grant supports a librarian or information professional with a
free place at the ALPSP International Conference from 11-13 September
(www.alpspconference.org).

"I am delighted to be given the ALPSP travel award," said Stephen Buck.
"Being offered the opportunity to attend the ALPSP conference will broaden
my exposure to, and awareness of, the issues affecting publishers and their
relationships with libraries regarding scholarly publishing, copyright, open
access and new models and new ways of looking at these, and other issues. I
believe that, as a librarian, attendance at a predominantly publisher
oriented conference will give me an enhanced perspectives on relevant themes
and will facilitate the generation of ideas and building of expertise."
________

ALPSP INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE 11-13 SEPTEMBER 2012 www.alpspconference.org
The programme offers topical and informative sessions, with excellent
networking opportunities across the whole spectrum of the publishing
industry.  Check out the programme at
http://www.alpsp.org/ebusiness/aic2012prog.aspx  This year's meeting will be
held at the Belfry near Birmingham UK.

________

SAGE is a leading international publisher of journals, books, and electronic
media for academic, educational, and professional markets. Since 1965, SAGE
has helped inform and educate a global community of scholars, practitioners,
researchers, and students spanning a wide range of subject areas including
business, humanities, social sciences, and science, technology, and
medicine. An independent company, SAGE has principal offices in Los Angeles,
London, New Delhi, Singapore and Washington DC. www.sagepublications.com

Lesley Ogg
Events and Membership Manager
E: [log in to unmask]; T: +44 (0)1245 260571; F: +44 (0)1245 260935;
www.alpsp.org

ALPSP is a Company limited by guarantee and incorporated in England and
Wales Registration no: 4081634. Registered Office: 1-3 Ship Street,
Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex BN43 5DH UK