Help for LIS-LINK Archives

LIS-LINK Archives

LIS-LINK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-LINK Home

LIS-LINK  March 2010

LIS-LINK March 2010

Working Smarter: Career Development Group National Conference 2010

Viki Lagus <[log in to unmask]>

Viki Lagus <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:46:56 -0000

WORKING SMARTER: MAKING MORE OF AN IMPACT WITH LESS

Career Development Group UK National Conference 2010
Monday 17th May 2010, 10.00 am - 4.00 pm, CILIP, London

Are you constantly being asked to do more with less? Do you feel under pressure because you have a smaller budget to work with and there are fewer of you to do everything?

Working Smarter will give you ideas and inspiration on how to achieve more with fewer resources. Suitable for library and information workers in any sector and at any level, the programme will feature a range of expert speakers from different LIS environments who will share their experiences and visions. With a mix of plenary sessions and workshop sessions, there will be time for discussion and questions, as well as opportunities to network with professionals from across the library and information sectors.

Career Development Group (CDG) is a special interest group of CILIP, the Chartered Institute of Library & Information Professionals (www.cilip.org.uk/cdg <http://www.cilip.org.uk/cdg>) Registered Charity No 313014

Programme
10.00	Registration and coffee
10.20	Conference introduction and welcome - Jon Scown, CDG President
10.30	How to reduce the hidden costs of meetings - Susie Kay, The Professionalism Group
	What are the resource implications of our endless meetings culture and how can we look at our requirements in different ways to save time, money and energy?
11.10	Refreshments
11.30	Training on a budget - Carol Brooks, Derbyshire County Council, & Jenny Cefai, Anglia Ruskin University
12.20	Librarians and the 'F' word: all about fundraising - Kathy Roddy, Freelance trainer and consultant
1.00	Lunch
2.00	Parallel sessions 1, choose one session from
	*	Marketing on a shoestring - Andy Ryan, London Libraries
	*	I need more time....but do you really?: the skills of time management - Lesley Robinson, Information Consultant and trainer
2.45	Refreshments
3.05	Parallel sessions 2, choose one session from
	*	Using volunteers in libraries: key issues to consider - Kathy Roddy, Freelance trainer and consultant
	*	Professionalism for success - Susie Kay, the Professionalism Group
3.50	Conference closing remarks
4.00	Close

Learning outcomes
*	Improved understanding of the range of ways in which the same or better services can be delivered with fewer resources
*	More detailed understanding of specific issues, such as how to make meetings more effective; how to deliver quality training with fewer resources; how to successfully raise funds and make use of volunteers to deliver better services; and how to make the most of limited time
*	Awareness of the benefits of continuing professional development
*	Awareness of relevant support networks and resources
*	Confidence to put some of the ideas gathered on the day into practice
The Career Development Group has been awarded the CILIP Seal of Recognition (www.cilip.org.uk/qualificationschartership/seal <http://www.cilip.org.uk/qualificationschartership/seal>). All delegates will receive a certificate of attendance.

Venue
*	CILIP, 7 Ridgmount Street, London, WC1E 7AE
*	For maps and travel directions, see: www.cilip.org.uk/contact-us/pages/map.aspx <http://www.cilip.org.uk/contact-us/pages/map.aspx>
*	Artsline Access Codes: E, G, W, X

Delegate rates (includes refreshments and buffet lunch)
*	Career Development Group members: 90 + 17.5% VAT =  105.75
*	Non-members: 105 + 17.5% VAT = 123.37
*	Students & Unwaged: 50 + 17.5% VAT = 58.75
There are a limited number of subsidised places available for students or the unwaged, which will be allocated on a 'first come, first served' basis

We are delighted to be able to offer an 'Early Bird' discount of 10 on all member and non-member bookings received by 31st March 2010. Please note this doesn't apply to student/unwaged bookings

For further details on the programme, please contact Nicola Healey on 01934 647166 or [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

BOOKING FORM FOR CDG NATIONAL CONFERENCE

To book your place, please return your completed booking form by Tuesday 4 May 2010 to:
Anna Grigson, Honorary Treasurer, Career Development Group, Bedford Library, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

Name:

Position:

Address:

Postcode:

Tel:

Email:

Special access and/or dietary requirements:

I am a member of CDG: Yes / No

CILIP membership number:

I wish to apply for a subsidized student / unwaged delegate place: Yes / No

I give my consent for my name to be included on the list of conference delegates:  Yes / No

Parallel sessions
Please indicate your choice of parallel sessions. Places will be allocated on a 'first come, first served' basis. We will make every effort to accommodate your choices but this cannot be guaranteed if a session is full.
Parallel sessions 1, choose either A or B