WORKING SMARTER: MAKING MORE OF AN IMPACT WITH LESS
Career Development Group UK National Conference 2010
Monday 17th May 2010, 10.00 am - 4.00 pm, CILIP, London
Are you constantly being asked to do more with less? Do you feel under pressure because you have a smaller budget to work with and there are fewer of you to do everything?
Working Smarter will give you ideas and inspiration on how to achieve more with fewer resources. Suitable for library and information workers in any sector and at any level, the programme will feature a range of expert speakers from different LIS environments who will share their experiences and visions. With a mix of plenary sessions and workshop sessions, there will be time for discussion and questions, as well as opportunities to network with professionals from across the library and information sectors.
Career Development Group (CDG) is a special interest group of CILIP, the Chartered Institute of Library & Information Professionals (www.cilip.org.uk/cdg <http://www.cilip.org.uk/cdg>) Registered Charity No 313014
10.00 Registration and coffee
10.20 Conference introduction and welcome - Jon Scown, CDG President
10.30 How to reduce the hidden costs of meetings - Susie Kay, The Professionalism Group
What are the resource implications of our endless meetings culture and how can we look at our requirements in different ways to save time, money and energy?
11.30 Training on a budget - Carol Brooks, Derbyshire County Council, & Jenny Cefai, Anglia Ruskin University
12.20 Librarians and the 'F' word: all about fundraising - Kathy Roddy, Freelance trainer and consultant
2.00 Parallel sessions 1, choose one session from
* Marketing on a shoestring - Andy Ryan, London Libraries
* I need more time....but do you really?: the skills of time management - Lesley Robinson, Information Consultant and trainer
3.05 Parallel sessions 2, choose one session from
* Using volunteers in libraries: key issues to consider - Kathy Roddy, Freelance trainer and consultant
* Professionalism for success - Susie Kay, the Professionalism Group
3.50 Conference closing remarks
* Improved understanding of the range of ways in which the same or better services can be delivered with fewer resources
* More detailed understanding of specific issues, such as how to make meetings more effective; how to deliver quality training with fewer resources; how to successfully raise funds and make use of volunteers to deliver better services; and how to make the most of limited time
* Awareness of the benefits of continuing professional development
* Awareness of relevant support networks and resources
* Confidence to put some of the ideas gathered on the day into practice
The Career Development Group has been awarded the CILIP Seal of Recognition (www.cilip.org.uk/qualificationschartership/seal <http://www.cilip.org.uk/qualificationschartership/seal>). All delegates will receive a certificate of attendance.
* CILIP, 7 Ridgmount Street, London, WC1E 7AE
* For maps and travel directions, see: www.cilip.org.uk/contact-us/pages/map.aspx <http://www.cilip.org.uk/contact-us/pages/map.aspx>
* Artsline Access Codes: E, G, W, X
Delegate rates (includes refreshments and buffet lunch)
* Career Development Group members: £90 + 17.5% VAT = £105.75
* Non-members: £105 + 17.5% VAT = £123.37
* Students & Unwaged: £50 + 17.5% VAT = £58.75
There are a limited number of subsidised places available for students or the unwaged, which will be allocated on a 'first come, first served' basis
We are delighted to be able to offer an 'Early Bird' discount of £10 on all member and non-member bookings received by 31st March 2010. Please note this doesn't apply to student/unwaged bookings
For further details on the programme, please contact Nicola Healey on 01934 647166 or [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
BOOKING FORM FOR CDG NATIONAL CONFERENCE
To book your place, please return your completed booking form by Tuesday 4 May 2010 to:
Anna Grigson, Honorary Treasurer, Career Development Group, Bedford Library, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Special access and/or dietary requirements:
I am a member of CDG: Yes / No
CILIP membership number:
I wish to apply for a subsidized student / unwaged delegate place: Yes / No
I give my consent for my name to be included on the list of conference delegates: Yes / No
Please indicate your choice of parallel sessions. Places will be allocated on a 'first come, first served' basis. We will make every effort to accommodate your choices but this cannot be guaranteed if a session is full.
Parallel sessions 1, choose either A or B
* A: Marketing on a shoestring
* B: I need more time....but do you really?
Parallel sessions 2, choose either C or D
* C: Using volunteers in libraries
* D: Professionalism for success
We can accept payment by cheque, or by bank transfer. We regret that we are not able to accept card payments.
I enclose a cheque payable to Career Development Group.
I wish to be invoiced:
Name and address for invoice (if different from above) :
Purchase order number :
Terms & conditions
Cancellations received after Monday 10th May will incur the full cost of this event, unless a substitute can be found from the same organisation. The Career Development Group reserves the right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its reasonable control without being obliged to offer a refund.
This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the named recipient and may contain sensitive, confidential or protectively marked material up to the central government classification of ?RESTRICTED" which must be handled accordingly. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail and delete from your system, unless you are the named recipient (or authorised to receive it for the recipient) you are not permitted to copy, use, store, publish, disseminate or disclose it to anyone else.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as it could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses and therefore the Council accept no liability for any such errors or omissions.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise views or opinions expressed in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Council and are not intended to be legally binding.
All Council network traffic and GCSX traffic may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.
South Tyneside Council, Town Hall & Civic Offices, Westoe Road, South Shields, Tyne & Wear, NE33 2RL, Tel: 0191 427 1717, Website: www.southtyneside.info