Re: List owner info please

MJ Ray <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:28:52 +0100

"Hartley, Elizabeth" <[log in to unmask]>
> Hi - can anyone tell me who the list owner is for lis-link and/or
> whether there would be any problem sending an attachment on an email
> to lis-link and whether logos can be embedded in the email?  I've
> looked on the Jiscmail website but can't find the info.

I think [log in to unmask] should reach the owner.

Sending attachments to mailing lists is a bad idea because as soon as
you attach a binary file to an email, it expands by about 30% (because
of base64 encoding), making it even larger. It is better to include a
URL where the file can be downloaded. If you don't have an upload
space, try Open Directory - Web Applications: Storage: Free.

So I'd not send attachments to mailing lists unless it's usual practice
(like sending a patch to a software development list) or you really
have no alternative. You will be taking up a lot of space, roughly the
size of the attachment multiplied by the number of people on the
list. One 3Mb waste is bad. 300 times 3Mb gets painful if common.

Also, some of those people may be reading over expensive/slow mobile
links (like I currently am - grrr, thanks o2fail!) and if your email
gets too big, they'll delete the email unread.  Small text emails are
best.

Sometimes there's no alternative, though.

Hope that informs,