Help for LIS-LINK Archives

LIS-LINK Archives

LIS-LINK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-LINK Home

LIS-LINK  January 2012

LIS-LINK January 2012

UKSG Course - Practical Project Management, London, 21 May 2012

Karen Sadler <[log in to unmask]>

Karen Sadler <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:37:57 -0000

     **  Apologies for cross-posting  **

UKSG are pleased to announce that we will be running this popular new course
in London in May:

UKSG Practical Project Management: London

Monday 21 May 2012

Workshop summary

We all have to manage projects.  Whether you are implementing a new system,
migrating services, managing a vendor selection process, managing an office
move or creating a new product or service, we are often managing projects
without the support of a professionally trained project manager.  We are
expected to deliver more with less, and it mustn’t go wrong on our watch!
If this sounds familiar, then help is at hand.

UKSG Practical Project Management is a highly practical workshop aimed at
librarians, publishers and intermediaries responsible for managing a variety
of projects of any size, including vendor selection, tenders, implementing
systems, system migration and web site creation and change projects.  It is
assumed that delegates have little or no formal project management training.

In this workshop we introduce a simple and free project management tool that
enables you to run projects of any size and any level of complexity from a
single sheet of paper, providing you with all the key information you need,
enabling you to stay on track and deliver on time and on budget.

One of the key benefits of the workshop is that delegates can bring a real
project they will be working on and use the workshop to create a real
project plan for that project, so they create something valuable on the day
as well as getting trained.

The workshop is very practical with a mix of tools and techniques as well as
specially designed exercises to enable you to leave the workshop ready to
implement the tools in your projects immediately.  Exercises, worksheets and
handouts are provided for you to take away.

Learning objectives

By the end of the workshop, delegates will be:
• confident in their ability to take on projects of any size
• more productive and efficient, resulting in less overwhelm and
fire-fighting
• familiar with a new project management tool that enables them to run
projects of any size and level of complexity from a single sheet of paper
• skilful at managing multiple projects, providing updates for everybody
involved and seeing at a glance where attention needs to be focused
• ready to put their new skills and techniques into practice immediately to
impact their job the day they return to the office.

In addition, each delegate will have the opportunity to develop a project
plan for a real project they are about to begin.  This provides the
opportunity for learning new skills in a highly practical way as well as
doing some ‘real work’ during the session!

Workshop agenda

09:30  Registration and refreshments
10:00  Introductions and objectives of the day
10:15  Session 1: Introducing a new project manager tool, project
definitions and components of the tool
10:30  Session 2: 12-steps to constructing the project plan before the
project starts
12:00  Session 3: Practical Exercise – creating your own project plan - Part
1
12:45  Lunch
13:45  Continuation of Practical Exercise – creating your own project plan –
Part 2
14:30  Session 4: Using the project plan during a project
15:30  Session 5: Extending the project management tool, review, summary and
questions
16.00  Close

Feedback from the October 2011 UKSG Practical Project Management workshop

Overall workshop rating:  97%
Percentage that would recommend the workshop:  100%
Percentage relevancy to their job:  94%

“This is exactly what I needed at the moment – practical, achievable and
really, really useful.  Another very practical, applicable training course
from UKSG.  Thank you so much.  I can really see this being of immediate and
real use in my job.  Wish I’d done this ten years ago!”

Niamh Lucey, St Vincent's University Hospital, Dublin

“Fantastic course!  Excellent speaker, comprehensive but concise
documentation, but most of all - it’s really practical.  I am going straight
home to create a project plan on how to convert my entire library to this
project management approach.”

Head of Library Technical Services

 “I wish I had attended this course years ago.  This tool is what has been
missing in our organisation.  We needed this last year when integrating a
new CRM system.  Simple, but so effective.  I can’t wait to use this back at
the office.”

Faye Steady, Portland Press Ltd

Workshop facilitator

Practical Project Management is facilitated by David Sommer.  David has over
fifteen years' experience in the global publishing industry.  He has worked
for Blackwell Publishing and Macmillan Publishing Solutions and has
developed a range of successful publisher and library products including
Blackwell Synergy, ContentStore, ScholarlyStats, MPS Insight and RiskCheck.
David now runs David Sommer Consulting.  He also chairs the Executive
Committee for COUNTER.  David has extensive project management experience,
successfully developing and launching major industry products.

Fee

UKSG members:   £195.00 + £39.00 VAT [20%] (total £234.00)
Non-members:   £245.00 + £49.00 VAT [20%] (total £294.00)

The fee includes refreshments and lunch.

Venue

The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, London, SW1

How to book

Please book using our  <http://www.uksg.org/event/ppm210512/book> online
form – www.uksg.org/event/ppm210512/book

For further information please see our website –
www.uksg.org/event/ppm210512 or contact me as below.

Venue location details will be sent with confirmation of booking.

Cancellations

By Monday 14 May 2012 - full refund
From Tuesday 15 May 2012 - no refund

NB:  UKSG reserves the right to alter or vary the programme due to events or
circumstances
beyond its reasonable control without being obliged to refund monies.

Karen Sadler

Administrator

UKSG

Tel. +44 (0)1865 310834

Fax. +44(0)1865 310834

www.uksg.org

UK Serials Association trading as United Kingdom Serials Group

A company registered in England and limited by guarantee

Company Number: 4145775 Registered Charity Number: 1093946

Registered office: Bowman & Hillier Building,

The Old Brewery, Priory Lane, Burford, Oxon OX18 4SG