Help for JISC-REPOSITORIES Archives

JISC-REPOSITORIES Archives

JISC-REPOSITORIES@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

JISC-REPOSITORIES Home

JISC-REPOSITORIES  October 2006

JISC-REPOSITORIES October 2006

Re: Known-Item vs. Open-Ended Search, OA, OAI and Google

Leslie Carr <[log in to unmask]>

Leslie Carr <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:26:52 +0100

The received wisdom a few years ago (in AltaVista days) was that
searches were very naive and overwhelmingly consisted of a single
search term.

My list of 30000 query terms for Southampton repositories has an
average length of 3.6 terms, so it would definitely appear that
things are getting more specific.

I would guess that a way to tell would be to look at the number of
items returned by each query.
--
Les