Fuzzy Visualization

"Juan A. Barcelo" <[log in to unmask]>

Juan A. Barcelo

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:59:12 +0100

If fuzzy data can be translated into probability values, then you can
build "probability maps" with any interpolation algorithm.
Archaeological data are always discrete, but GIS software are based on
the axiom that spatial variables are continuous. Do you imagine any
continuous archaeological spatial variable? My suggestion is to create a
probability function for archaeological variables, that is you should
not map the quantity of archaeological items in each discrete location,
but the "probability" a social action or collective behavior took place
in that location. The relationship between the quantity or quality of
artifacts and past behaviour is tipically fuzzy. Then you have as a
result a quantitative continuous variable which can be mapped with any
classical interpolation algorithm.

More details in my paper: Barcelo, J.A. Pallares,M, "Beyond GIS: the
archaeology of social space". Archeologia e Calcolatori 1997.

Juan A. Barcelo
Quantitative Archaeology Lab
Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona