The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  September 1999

DISABILITY-RESEARCH September 1999

RE: A Question Of Language!

"Gill Dixon" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 21:48:08 +0100

Rosie,
I am pleased you have said this. I am a student of disability studies, and a
mother of someone with disabilities but am not techinically disabled myself.
(I say 'techinically', because I think I am disabled by my attitudes,
outllook, expectations at times).
Before I started any academic foraging into the subject, I was fairly
confident in the way I described others, and would openly ask if I had
offended and apologise if I had etc.
Now I never know what to say, how to describe a person, or how to talk a
person with disabilities. Before I spoke to anyone and everyone on the same
terms. Now I'm not so sure, which I appreciate is my hang up, but it didn't
develop from nothing.
I would welcome your suggestion.

Gill.

Gill Dixon BHSc Hons, RGN