The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  September 1999

DISABILITY-RESEARCH September 1999

Re: basic publishing/geographic Qs re disability

"Anita ghai" <[log in to unmask]>

Anita ghai

Sat, 18 Sep 1999 12:28:07 +0530

Women and disability in India
Well Judith you are quite right in raising the questions that you have
raised. i guess First and foremost One has to understand that the narrative
of disability is significantly different in a developing country. It is just
not possible to lift the theoretical angles used in the developed world to
mirror the concerns of developing countries. We are still fighting very
basic battles like Accessibility, education employment NO media
representation, No cultural exploration and as such the male hedgemony is
quite evident in the fights going on. As such women with disabilities face
triple marginalisations that need to be understood in the context in which
they are placed
More Later
anita ghai