Help for INDUSTRIAL-ECOLOGY Archives

INDUSTRIAL-ECOLOGY Archives

INDUSTRIAL-ECOLOGY@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

INDUSTRIAL-ECOLOGY Home

INDUSTRIAL-ECOLOGY  February 1999

INDUSTRIAL-ECOLOGY February 1999

Replies to Water Purification Unit Request ...

"O'Connor F J (SoDAT)" <[log in to unmask]>

O'Connor F J (SoDAT)

Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:09:44 -0000

Apologies for cross postings

A summary of replies to-date on the recent request for information on mobile
water purification units are given below. A sincere thank you for all the
excellent responses. I will keep you updated on our work.

Sincerely
Frank

--------------------
Original Request

Apologies for cross postings

We are currently developing a mobile water purification unit for specific
applications (support a family of 4 people) in under developed countries.
Any information/suggestions would be great.
Thanks in advance

Kind Regards
Frank O' Connor

	Frank O' Connor
	Lecturer
	School of Design and Advanced Technology
	University of Glamorgan
	Trefforest
	Mid-Glamorgan
	CF37-1DL
	Wales
	Tel (office): +44 (0)1443 482219
	Tel (flat): +44 (0)1222 317845
	Fax (office): +44 (0)1443 482231
	Email: [log in to unmask]
	WWW: http://www.glam.ac.uk/newGlam/index.html

--------

Hi Frank,

My old supervisor (from my first degree at Manchester) was doing some work
on water supply systems for Zaire (I think).  This was back in 1992/3 and I
know that he was going to go out there for a few years to help install them.
His web page is http://sun1.mpce.stu.mmu.ac.uk/sjb.htm but I suggest
telephoning the department first, to check on his whereabouts - 0161 247
6245.  If you do reach him, please send him my best regards!

Tim.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dr Tim McAloone

Associate Research Professor
Department Of Control And Engineering Design
Technical University of Denmark
Building 358
2800 Lyngby
Denmark

T: (45) 4525 6270
F: (45) 4588 1451
E: [log in to unmask]
W: http://www.mcaloone.com
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

-------

Hi Frank,

I was part of team that designed such devices in Canada 4 yrs ago.  They
were
Bromine filters with ozone aerators.  They were very effective for
apparently
killing 99.99% (so they said) of any known contaminants.  The devices needed
power to do this which is perhaps impractical in under developed countries.
We used common car batteries that were attached to the unit via releasable
cable.  The device was able to sit anywhere with as long as it had hoses
attached to the source.  In fact, there were many versions of the device.

It never took off because the company only had trailed it for demonstration
(self promotion) purposes.  I am afraid that I don't have the mechanics of
how it worked because I was a junior designer at the time and the chemistry
bit advanced for me then.  I do have very simple schematics or drawings.
Not
sure how helpful they would be though - quick simple line drawings from what
I remember.

Hope this is helpful Frank,

Talk to you soon buddy.  Any ideas on Eco2?

Joe

--
Joseph David Chiodo
Cleaner Electronics Research

http://www.brunel.ac.uk/~dtsrjdc/ADSM.html

--------

Hi Frank,

Thought the following might be of interest.  The research team
working on this project involves, fine artists, ecological artists,
sociologists, biologists, and others...

The Faculty of Art and Design at MMu are currently involved in a
research project entitled, 'Water and Well Being.'  A core team led by
Mel Chantry, Senior Lecturer in Fine Art, has proposed a programme of
practical and theoretical research into the use of water and its
symbolism in public art and design, and its effects on the sens eof
individual and communal well being.  The 3 year programme, will
involve several large scale projects working in partnership with NW
WAter and other public and private bodies.

Contact David Haley on [log in to unmask]  I think they've also set up
a web site.  David will be able to tell you more about it.

Jo

Dr. Joanne Heeley
Dept Textiles/Fashion
Manchester Metropolitan University
Cavendish North Building, Room 125
Cavendish Street, Manchester.
M15 6BH
Tel: 0161 247 1965
Fax: 0161 247 6867
Email: [log in to unmask]

--------

Frank - Our sponsors, Electrolux have a developed an 'osmosis
purifier' which turns dirty water into drinkable - I think its for sailing
applications, etc.
Apparently it costs 600 quid and they demo it by pouring wine in
at one end and pure water comes out the other.... wrong way round
if you ask me!
Might be worth checking.... and I can give you a contact of you are
interested!
Chris
Chris Sherwin
Eco Innovation Group
Bldg. 53
Cranfield University
Cranfield
Beds MK43 0AL
Tel: 01234 754191
Fax: 01234 750852
email: [log in to unmask]
----------

The World Bank used to have several publications that included technical
aspects of water purification.  Also out of Arlington, Virginia, USA is a
group called "Volunteers in Technical Assistance" (VITA), and it focusses on
connecting technical professionals in the US with the needs of developing
countries.  Also, the American Water Works Association (which should have a
web page if you do a search) has, as a portion of its mission, a focus on
providing technical assistance for water quality/quantity to developing
countries, so you might see what you can find there.

The London School of Tropical Hygiene also might be a good resource to point
you in more fruitful directions (the School has been a resource to the World
Bank on disease prevention, transmission, and water and waste management).
Finally, there were some faculty at the University of Ottawa's (Canada)
College of Engineering (I believe) who were working on water quality and
quantity issues in developing countries.

At one time, I was hoping to work on very similar issues.  But, life plans
change!

Good luck!

Tim

Timothy S. Mulholland, PhD
Performance Measures Coordinator
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Madison, WI  53707-7921
VOICE:  608/267-9305
FAX:      608/267-0496
EMAIL:  [log in to unmask]
You can find us on the World Wide Web at http:\\www.dnr.state.wi.us
    Check it out!!!

Copies of Wisconsin Statutes and regulations (in Adobe Acrobat format) may
be found at:
    http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb

-------------

DearFrankO'Conner:
It tepends in what "climate zone" you plan to operate your purification unit
.
If the temprature range is between 18 and 24 degr.Cel.you might use a
biological water puroification system that was developed by NASA and does
use
plant relationships (to get out excess nutriens ) and micro organisms and
filters .(sand and carbon filters )but the most important problem is cost
and maintenance of your system for the user  .If you have a "client"that
earns maybe 250 000 pesos /month (some150 $)and has to feed a family of
eight there is very little money left for any other thing then food/cloth
and shelter.
I have some experience in waterpurification from Mexico and Guatemala and
also from rural areas of Colombia,where I am now .
Maybe you can share where you are with your concepts so that I might give
you some suggestions .Most families are large (the church has still a big
hold on sex education )
There are also options of waterpurification that does use evaporation for
drinking water and other concepts are recycling water or re using water .
(like collecting rain-water,using it as showerwater then using the shower
water to flush a toilet ,or pump the water into a solar destill and use it
as drinking water etc.)
 If you are just looking for a solution for drinking water(8 liters of water
for cooking and drinking /per person there are ways to accoplish that based
on chemicals and based on filters ,depending on your "materia prima"
so share what you are looking for maybe I can help.
pn

       Peter North
   Director c/o Dept. Diseno Ind.
   Universidad de los Andes
   Bogota Colombia .

-------------------------
Frank. A quickie reply. I am unable to read your attached file, so this
stuff might be completely useless/already known.
Obvious starting point is ITDG and Red Cross. I have used a Katadyn water
filter in extensive 3rd world travels. Bloody expensive and hard graft,
but it works.
See you in June, if the venue is Wales!
Cheers,
Mark

-------------------------
You should contact the remote areas technology group at Murdoch
University in Western Australia - check out their web site at
http://wwwies.murdoch.edu.au/radg.html .  I know they had made some low
cost, self contained water purificaition units for remote communities

Tim

--
***************************************
Tim Grant BAppSci, MEng (Cleaner Production)

--------------------
Your project sounds very interesting and whilst I have no technical
information to offer I can maybe suggest a course of investigation by
combining a couple of Ideas i have encountered.  Your project is aimed at
water purification and hence I assume its main objective is to clear the
water of any bacteria or virus', not heavy metal contamination or other
polluting substances which require filtering technologies.

I remember seeing a article on some television programme 4 or 5 years ago
about a mobile water purifier that worked on the principle that by
collecting small amounts of water an electrical charge could be
introduced to the water that would kill the bacteria and virus'.  The
means to deliver the charge was by means of a small generator carried in
the boot of a car.  This has obvious implications for the developing
nations in that the generator needs fuel (and possibly maintenance).
Which makes it less mobile as you then need to carry extra fuel (and also
quite expensive in some areas of the world).

The solution I wish to suggest is that an electrical charge can be
generated by a manual dynamo connected to a generator as in the famous
example of the clockwork radio.  Depending on the quantity of water
needed to be purified, mobile could mean water bottle size for nomadic
peoples and suitcase size possibly for residential setups or even bigger
for emergency aid situations (earthquakes and other disasters).  As the
technology is relatively simplistic it allows very little knowledge of
electrics or mechanics to be maintained.  The main obstacle is assessing
how to store and discharge the electrical charge in the knowledge that
all organisms will be killed.

I hope this is of some help to you,

David Colbourne

Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester
LE1 9BH