ECONOMIC-GEOGRAPHY  February 1999

ECONOMIC-GEOGRAPHY February 1999

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Global Brain Digest No.069: 990207. An invitation to enquire.

David Weston <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Feb 1999 17:26:58 +0000

text/plain

Dear Friends,
	Every week my colleague, Suzanne Gregory, on Vancouver Island,
British Columbia, researches, prepares and sends out, a weekly edition of
Global Brain Digest.
	It's for busy 'intentional citizens'/'movers and shakers'/'social
pioneers' who need to be kept up to speed with events - a kind of alternate
'Reuters' news service.
	We would like more people to know of this service, esp. here in
Britain. But we don't want to organise preparation and distribution here
unless there are a significant number of potential subscribers.
	If we set it up here, we would include more European and British items.
	So, please look over the sample attached below and please let me
know, say within ten days, if you would be interested in subscribing. If
you are PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY AT THIS TIME - just let me know by a
short email that you are interested. The subscription details are:
	~ Individual subscriptions (working out at fifty pence per week)
would be:
		* £6.50 for thirteen weeks
		* £13.00 for twenty-six weeks
		* £19.50 for thirty-nine weeks

	~ Institutional subscriptions are higher, but negotiable. Email me
for figures.
	It would be sent out late every Sunday night, and it would most
likely be on your email box first thing Monday morning.

	We are, as you can imagine, open to suggestions as to how to
improve the service, in terms of content, of delivery date, or any other
factors.
	Hoping to hear from you.
Regards,

David J. Weston.
Global Brain Digest No.069:  990207

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THIS EDITION:

- TOBIN DEBATE
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX:  AN INVERSE SET OF VALUES
- BILDERBERG:  A PEEK BEHIND THE SCREEN
- AN APPROACH TO MONETARY REFORM
- MYTHICAL FREE TRADE VS. TRUE FREE TRADE
- WHAT ARE WE EXPORTING, ANYWAY?
- WAR, BANKS, AND THE UN
- SCAPEGOATING THE NEIGHBOURS
- AFGHANISTAN:  IMPORTANT TO NOTE ANYWAY
- GENETIC ENGINEERING:  SO MUCH FOR SAFETY ASSURANCES
- COMMENTARY:  LIFE AND THE AUTOMOBILE
- GRAY WHALES SAFE FOR NOW
- LEST WE FORGET
- RESOURCES
- QUOTABLE QUOTES

Remember, Global Brain Digest is a subscription service, and is NOT FOR
REDISTRIBUTION.  If, however, you bring in a new subscriber, you will
receive a FREE three-month extension to your own subscription.

Editorial by Suzanne Gregory

        If it is true that we must do more to formulate positive concepts
for the future (under the shadow of further economic collapses), what are
the most important elements to look at?
        There is talk of "community."  What, in specific detail, does a
functional community consist of?  There is talk of "local self-reliance."
What local systems do we have in place?  What is still needed?  There is
talk of bartering and alternate local currencies.  Will it be possible to
pay property taxes with them?  (It has been said that, during the
Depression of the 1930s, more farms were lost to property tax foreclosures
than to drought.)  There is talk of universal values that citizens
everywhere can unite to stand up for.  Can we say for certain what those
values are?
        These questions are asked, not to tear down the ideas being
proposed, but to encourage a sharpening of concepts.  The need is to move
from good ideas to plans that can be implemented quickly and effectively.
Which of them are already up and running?  Can they be widely replicated?
	What can be done, not just for ourselves, but for those who are
already homeless or living on virtually no monetary income?
        Readers are invited to send in reports on working initiatives that
others could replicate or participate in, and GBD will report on them.
This issue includes some potentially useful items.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ P O L I T I C A L   I S S U E S ~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Ottawa)  TOBIN DEBATE

        The second hour of debate on the Tobin tax motion was held in the
House of Commons on Feb 3.  The Bloc Quebecois has proposed that the motion
be amended by removing the words "enact a tax on financial transactions"
and replacing them with the following: "promote the implementation of a tax
aimed at discouraging speculation on fluctuations in the exchange rate."
	The language is weaker but not seriously so and could help win Bloc
support (44 seats).
        Yves Rocheleau (Bloc-Trois Rivieres) acknowledges the public
groundswell of support growing for the Tobin tax: "Fortunately, an
awareness is developing internationally.  I would like to take the
opportunity to thank Charles F. Johnston of 5th Avenue North in Saskatoon
for alerting me to the debate and inviting me to take part."
        Wayne Easter (Malpeque-PEI)(Parl. Sect. to Minister of Fisheries
and Oceans):  "I am a primary producer and I know about speculation in
terms of the hog market, the grain industry and the beef industry.  I know
very well that those people that play those markets make huge profits many
times by shuffling a little paper around and playing with the futures
market and so on.  The primary producer who does all the work, who takes
all the risks, who creates the investment and puts his family to work and
works himself, ends up many times losing money.
        "The speculators make money.  It is even worse when we get to the
financial speculators, the money speculators.  They play games ... and with
the new technology that is available today, millions - even billions - of
dollars can be moved in the flash of a second."

Source:  Robin Round, Regional Coordinator, Halifax Initiative <[log in to unmask]>

(Washington)  AN INVERSE SET OF VALUES

        Need a definition for Washington?
        Try institutional insanity.
        Consider this: The United States, the world's only remaining military
superpower, is about to embark on a military buildup unmatched since the
peak of the Reagan-era Cold War.  President Clinton is preparing to propose
a boost in the defense budget of $112 billion over six years -- on top of
the already monstrous $265 billion of federal money spent annually on the
military.
        With the U.S. infrastructure crumbling, its Medicare system
imperiled, child poverty at unconscionable levels in a time of unparalleled
economic expansion, and global warming threatening the well-being of the
entire planet, a remotely sensible version of "national security" would
prioritize these concerns over maintaining the military budget at current
levels, let alone increasing it.
        Unfortunately, the lobbies for public works, the sick and aged, the
poor, and the environment cannot match the influence of the weapons makers.
       Their urgings that the federal government invest to address real
problems that trouble the entire society, or at least large segments of it,
are dismissed as "unreasonable."
        In Washington, where things are upside down, it is the madmen in the
Pentagon and at Lockheed Martin who are considered reasonable.

Source:  Focus on the Corporation, a weekly column written by Russell
Mokhiber and Robert Weissman.
FMI:  the Multinational Monitor web site http://www.essential.org/monitor

Comment by John Mutambirwa:  It would appear that precious little has
changed since the days when the Dow Jones would display an eerie tendency
to register an inverse relationship with the promise of success of
Disarmament Talks!

(Turnberry Hotel, Ayrshire, Scotland)  A PEEK BEHIND THE SCREEN

        Here are a few names of participants in the May 14-17, 1998
Bilderberg Meeting.  (Please note the presence of a CEO of Bain Ltd., a
company now making implantable "platform" identification chips to be used
in the new Mondex world currency system.)

Black, Conrad (CDN): Chairman, The Telegraph plc
Chretien, Raymond A.J. (CDN): Ambassador to the U.S.  (nephew of the P.M.)
Dion, Stephane (CDN): Queens Privy Council for Canada and Minister of
Intergovernmental Affairs
Fischer, Stanley (INT): First Deputy Managing Director, IMF
Gadiesh, Orit (USA): Chairman of the Board, Bain and Company Inc.
Hague, William (GB): Leader of the Opposition
Hoagland, Jim (USA): Associate Editor, The Washington Post
Kaletsky, Anatole (GB): Associate Editor, The Times
Kissinger, Henry A. (USA): Former Secretary of State; Chairman, Kissinger
Associates
MacMillan, Margaret (CDN): Editor, International Journal, Canadian
Institute of International Affairs, University of Toronto
Manning, Preston (CDN): Leader of the Reform Party
Netherlands, Her Majesty Queen of the (NL)
Rockefeller, David (USA): Chairman, Chase Manhattan Bank International
Advisory Committee
Sutherland, Peter D. (IRL): Chairman, Goldman Sachs International;
Chairman, British Petroleum Company plc.
Wolfensohn, James D. (INT): President, the World Bank

Source:  [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Thanks to Cliff Hume

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ E C O N O M I C   I S S U E S ~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Britain)  AN APPROACH TO MONETARY REFORM

        The product sought by BAMR is to bring an understanding of how
corrupt and destructive the current monetary system is and to present
specific proposals (which can be understood by virtually everyone) as to
just what needs to happen to bring in an equitable, stable and truly
democratic system.  Therefore our proposals as to what needs to happen are
so simple that they are actually easier done than said.  Over centuries,
people have been led to believe that the monetary system is essentially
complex and understood only by the "experts", but this is true only to the
degree it has become corrupt.  The Oxford Concise dictionary defines money
as "A means of exchange", and that's all it is. (It's also a unit of
account and a store of value - ed.)
        Repeal the Tonnage act of 1694 and restore to our elected government
the sole right and duty to create and issue the nation's currency as money
(not credit or debt).  Our Government must then spend this money into
circulation (never lend).  The amount of money the Government creates and
spends into circulation should be precisely the sum total of goods and
services exchanged in the market place in order to facilitate that trade.
This figure is currently unknown, but modern computer  technology will
easily and accurately provide this missing statistic.  And thereby create an
inflation/deflation-proof economy.  It is really that simple.

Source:  Bob Arnold, British Association for Monetary Reform
FMI:  Contact GBD.

(Global)  MYTHICAL FREE TRADE VS. TRUE FREE TRADE

        Professor Herman Daly, in "The Perils of Free Trade" (_Scientific
American_, November, 1993) states, "One country might find it comparatively
less costly to mine coal than to grow wheat, but in another country the
opposite may be true.  If nations specialize in the products for which they
have a comparative advantage and trade freely to obtain others, everyone
benefits.
        According to 19th century British economist David Ricardo, true free
trade must be based on the essential precondition that all three factors of
production - Resources, Labour, and Capital, *must not* be mobile.
Currently, under the FTA and NAFTA, only Labour is not mobile.  In a system
of true free trade [where countries benefit from comparative advantage],
the international flow of *all* private capital and the extraction of
unprocessed resources must be tightly controlled.
        [Ed. note:  As Caspar Davis says in GBD No.068a, "In Canada, net
investment outflow almost exactly matches net inflow.  If Canadians
invested in Canada, there would be no need of foreign investment."  Another
requirement for true free trade would be to eliminate the 97.5% of all
foreign exchange transactions which are speculative, in favour of a system
where all transactions involve actual goods and services.]

Source:  David Weston, "It's time we had *real* free trade," _Nanaimo
Times_, April 4, 1995 - and recent correspondence

(Ottawa)  WHAT ARE WE EXPORTING, ANYWAY?

>From _The Toronto Star_, "A chance to practise what we preach" by Naomi
Klein  January 28, 1999

        It wasn't supposed to be this way.  When Trade Minister Sergio
Marchi announced a routine review of the Export Development Corporation, an
arcane crown corporation that provides insurance and financing to Canadian
companies operating abroad, the Ottawa watchers knew just what to expect.
        Obviously, the review would be a run of the mill privatization
standoff.  The EDC insiders and pork-barrel beneficiaries would fiercely
protect their turf, defending their right to receive sweetheart deals on
insurance and loans simply because they are helping Canada integrate into
the global economy.
        ... [But...]  The terms of debate shifted under their feet.
        During the public consultations, ... the review panel heard
testimony ... from human rights groups, unions and environmentalists ...
[who said the EDC] must truly act in the public interest, making decisions
about which international projects to support not only on their financial
merits but also on their human and environmental impacts.  Since the EDC is
indirectly supported by Canadian taxpayers and answerable to Parliament ...
it can be a force of positive global change.
        To understand why this is a revolutionary concept, one needs to look
at what this institution has been doing up until now.  As well as insuring
clean-handed widget exporters against currency crashes, the EDC has also
supplied financing and insurance to several of Canada's most scandal-ridden
corporate citizens.  According to documents before the review, virtually
every time a Canadian corporation has been involved in a high-profile
environmental or corruption meltdown overseas, that company got to where it
was thanks, in part, to a leg-up from the EDC.

[Do read this entire article at
http://www.thestar.com/thestar/editorial/opinion/990128NEW02d_OP-KLEIN.html
and watch for her subsequent one on the positive proposals.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ S O C I A L   I S S U E S ~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Global)  WAR, BANKS AND THE UN

        "Since I was discharged from the army in 1945 when the Rockefellers
and their banking elite founded the UN, there has been no peace.  Do you
suppose that all of those millions that are being killed in PEACE would feel
any better about the situation if the criminals that are doing this would
just call a spade a spade and let everyone know that this is a war for the
purpose of establishing a world tyranny?  When Peace is War, many weird
things are happening.
        "[E]very country in the world has a very burdensome national debt,
the interest on which is usually the second highest item on the budget.  We
do not owe it to ourselves, we owe it to those people who took over the [US]
Federal Reserve on December 23rd, 1913, when all of the honest members of
the House were at home with their families.
        "It seems quite 'coincidental' that these people set themselves up
with Tax-Free Foundations at a time when there were no taxes and then,
after managing to instigate a war with Germany, had their dupes and tools
in government pass the Income Tax Act to finance the war which they had
deliberately caused. (Read _Wall Street and the Rise of Hitler_ by
Professor Antony C. Sutton - former Research Fellow at the Hoover
Institute.)"

Source:  "CHH" in "Confronting world leaders to stop war, famine and
corruption"
Free Press International  http://www.realtime.net/~dream/wfp.html

(Alberta/Ontario)  SCAPEGOATING THE NEIGHBOURS

        The Canadian League of Rights, after a decade of activity in
Alberta, has moved back to Ontario, from whence it came.  While this is
unfortunate for working people in Ontario, Albertans should not become too
overjoyed:  Eric Boswell, the CLR's apparent second-in-command, continues
to operate the provincial section out of Brooks.
        The CLR has been characterized by the Canadian Jewish Congress as
"perhaps Canada's leading antisemitic organization operating today," and
David Bercusson and Douglas Wertheimer in their book "A Trust Betrayed,"
have called the CLR "one of the largest and best organized Canadian
antisemitic groups."  The CLR is the most recent mutation of the
organizations controlled by Ron Gostick and Patrick Walsh.

Source:  Antifa Info-Bulletin piece from The Bethune Institute for
Anti-Fascist Studies by David Lethbridge
http://bethune.w-3productions.com/documents/clr.html

        GBD has also received this:
	Paul Fromm, Director of the Canadian Association for Freedom of
Expression, termed the decision by Tom Patch, to find Vancouver journalist
Doug Collins guilty of promoting "hatred" against Jews in four columns and
fining him $2,000, an "outrage."  Patch was a one man tribunal set up under
British Columbia's Human Rights Commission who heard a complaint laid by
Victoria businessman and B'nai Brith activist Harry Abrams.

[Ed. note:  Has anyone out there actually seen Collins's columns?  Is this
really a freedom of expression issue, or is this yet another "freedom,"
"rights," and "just good sense" organization to be wary of?]

(Afghanistan)  IMPORTANT TO NOTE ANYWAY

        The following message came with a request to add your name to a
petition and, when there were 50 names, to send it to a particular e-dress.
Another message then indicated that the e-dress was no good.  Here, however,
is a portion of the report:

        The government of Afghanistan is waging a war upon women.  The
situation is getting so bad that one person in an editorial compared the
treatment of women there to the treatment of Jews in pre-Holocaust Poland.
Since the Taliban took power in 1996, women have had to wear burqua and
have been beaten and stoned in public for not having the proper attire,
even if this means simply not having the mesh covering in front of their
eyes.  One woman was beaten to DEATH by an angry mob of fundamentalists for
accidentally exposing her arm while she was driving.
        Another was stoned to death for trying to leave the country with a
man that was not a relative.  Women are not allowed to work or even go out
in public without a male relative; professional women such as professors,
translators, doctors, lawyers, artists and writers have been forced from
their jobs and stuffed into their homes, so that depression is becoming so
widespread that it has reached emergency levels.

FMI:  Try contacting Melissa Buckheit or Lisa Cramer at Brandeis University
<[log in to unmask]>  [GBD will attempt to make contact via other
spellings - like "saraband" - and report back in the next issue.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ E N V I R O N M E N T A L   I S S U E S ~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Netherlands)  SO MUCH FOR SAFETY ASSURANCES

        From an article in the Globe and Mail, A16, Jan 26/99:

	An artificial gut designed by Dutch researchers has cast doubts on
the safety of genetically modified food, New Scientist magazine reported
yesterday.
	The computer-controlled model of the stomach and intestines,
designed to mimic human food digestion, showed antibiotic-resistance genes
introduced into food could jump to bacteria in the gut.
	"The results show the DNA lingers in the intestine, and confirms
that genetically modified bacteria can transfer their antibiotic-resistance
genes to bacteria in the gut," according to the magazine.
	One of the concerns about genetically engineeered crops is that
antibiotic-resistant genes could transfer to animals and humans and create
superbugs that can't be killed by the strongest antibiotics.
	Some scientists claimed it could never happen because the modified
DNA breaks down so quickly.  But the Dutch research showed DNA from the
bacteria had a half-life of six minutes in the large intestine.
	"This makes it available to transform cells," said Robert Havenaar,
the designer of the artificial gut.

Thanks to Ian Gartshore

(North America)  COMMENTARY:  LIFE AND THE AUTOMOBILE

        As GBD went into the final stages of preparation, this editor and
son chanced upon a cat lying in the middle of the street, convulsing and in
shock, having been hit by a car.  Neighbours called the SPCA emergency
service while we scooped the kitty out of tire track range and tried to keep
him warm.  The cat died of spinal injuries and internal bleeding on the way
to the vet.
        GBD readers have not made further comments in the debate on keeping
cats indoors, but there's another angle on that, too:  in North America, we
have billion-dollar pet food and kitty luxury industries, while millions of
unwanted would-be pets proliferate in our back alleys.  Is it, perchance, a
parallel to the proliferation of shanty towns for humans, while the wealthy
sequester themselves in gated communities?
        As for cars:  they hit wild animals, migrating amphibians, humans,
birds, domestic animals - and each other.  In the NFB video, _The Emperor's
New Clothes_, a mother in Mexico tells the story of her sixteen-year-old
son who, on his fifth day of work in the local Ford maquiladora, was caught
by a conveyor belt and dragged into a machine used for grinding glass.  All
she got back was his neck.
        They're unsafe even while being manufactured, but they have been
imposed on all of us, one way or another.  In a lecture three or four years
ago, journalist Gwynne Dyer said that China's goal is to have 400 million
cars - and what right would we have to ask them not to, if we're going to
keep ours?  Only trouble is, that could leave the planet's ecosystems
convulsing and in shock.

(US)  GRAY WHALES SAFE FOR NOW

        The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is satisfied that the
southward winter migration of Gray whales has now safely passed the Makah
reservation at Neah Bay, WA.  The Society is, however, preparing to oppose
Makah attempts at a whale hunt during the northward migration in the
spring.
        An inflatable boat stolen from the Society was to be returned
yesterday by the Makah.  Sea Shepherd has begun the process of using the
Makah Treaty to be compensated for damage done to the inflatable and to the
SIRENIAN.

FMI:  <[log in to unmask]> or http://www.seashepherd.org

LEST WE FORGET

Letter to the Editor re:  last week's Lest We Forget:

        I do believe that what was written [in Lest We Forget] (indeed, our
whole financial system) could be described as a "pyramid scheme."  It
should be noted that such schemes are considered to be illegal in Canada.

- Ian Gartshore

        "The wealthy have always used many methods to accumulate wealth,
but it was not until the mid-1970s that these methods coalesced into a
superbly organized, cohesive and efficient machine.  After 1975, it became
greater than the sum of its parts, a smooth flowing organization of
advocacy groups, lobbyists, think tanks, conservative foundations, and PR
firms that hurtled the richest 1 percent into the stratosphere.
        "The origins of this machine, interestingly enough, can be traced
back to the CIA.  This is not to say the machine is a formal CIA operation,
complete with code name and signed documents.  (Although such evidence may
yet surface — and previously unthinkable domestic operations such as
MK-ULTRA, CHAOS and MOCKINGBIRD show this to be a distinct possibility.)
But what we do know already indicts the CIA strongly enough.  Its principal
creators were Irving Kristol, Paul Weyrich, William Simon, Richard Mellon
Scaife, Frank Shakespeare, William F. Buckley, Jr., the Rockefeller family,
and more.  Almost all the machine's creators had CIA backgrounds."

[This comes with a long list of references at the end.]

From:  The Origins of the Overclass  By Steve Kangas
http://www.scruznet.com/~kangaroo/L-overclass.html

Thanks to Bob Olsen.

RESOURCES

        _The Dirt Cheap Builder's Catalog_ - Taylor Publishing and Elk
River Press.
        Some of the titles:  _Appropriate Building Materials_, _Alternative
Housebuilding_, _The Alternative Building Source Book_, _Design Outlaws on
the Ecological Frontier_, _Mortgage-Free! Off the Money Grid_,
_Travel-Trailer Homesteading Under $5,000_, _The Passive Solar House_, _The
Home Water Supply_, and many more.

FMI:  <[log in to unmask]>, http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/elkriver.html

        Dennis Raphael's article, "From Increasing Poverty to Societal
Disintegration:  Economic Inequality and the Future Health of Canada"
[excerpted in GBD No.068] is now available at:
http://www.interlog.com/~cjazz/bnews2.htm#gap2

        Here are a few more snippets from the article......
        "The growing gap between rich and poor has not been ordained by
extraterrestrial beings.  It has been created by the policies of governments."
        "Poverty in Canada is highly gendered.  The highest risk group for
poverty, and associated health effects, are single parent families,
virtually all of which are headed by women."
        "In 1973 the richest 10% of families in Canada made 21 times more
than the poorest 10% of families.  By 1996, the richest 10% of families
made 314 times more than the poorest 10% of families."
        "What matters in determining mortality and health in a society is
less the overall wealth of that society and more how evenly wealth is
distributed."
        "Societies with greater economic inequality begin to 'disintegrate'."

Thanks again to Bob Olsen

        _Blue Ear_, subtitled "Global Writing Worth Reading", aims to
publish writing about places and issues worldwide that are genuinely worth
writing about -- writing, that is, that addresses the questions most
writing avoids -- and that distinctively blends professional authority and
personal experience.
        Editor Ethan Casey welcomes queries and submissions.  _Blue Ear_'s
launch edition is currently available free of charge at http://www.BlueEar.com

QUOTABLE QUOTES:

        "In recent years, there's been a trend toward democracy and market
economies.  That has lessened the role of government, which is something
business people tend to be in favor of.  But the other side of the coin is
that somebody has to take governments' place, and business seems to me to
be a logical entity to do it."

- David Rockefeller in "New Rules of the Game: Looking for New Leadership"
_Newsweek_, February 1, 1999

-----------
        "America, not Saddam Hussein, appears to be the problem."

- Attributed to Henry Kissinger, responding to the global community's
refusal to back the US in its spat of February, 1998 with Iraq.

Source:  _Earth Island Journal_ - Fall, 1998, in an item entitled "A United
State of Arrogance," which summarizes a report from the _Los Angeles
Times_. The item also notes that a senior European diplomat recalled for
the _Times_ his shock when Senator Alfonse D'Amato (R-NY) angrily told him:
"To hell with international law.  You're either with us or against us, and
I only hope for your sake you make the right decision."

REDISTRIBUTION.
	At the end of each item the source is noted.  Occasionally a full
story is available as a separate Global Brain Reprint.

FEES: Individuals: $13.00 per quarter, payable by cheque at this time for
the three month period Feb.- Apr. inclusive.  Later subscribers will also
pay $13.00 and will receive back issues to the beginning of February unless
other arrangements are made.

FEES: Media, libraries and NGOs: $65.00 per quarter, but negotiable.
Full texts of Global Brain Reprints via email: $1.00 each (available only
to subscribers).

PLEASE MAKE CHEQUES PAYABLE TO David Weston and send to the address below.
Thanks.

Global Brain Digest ©
1371 Discovery Ave., Nanaimo, B.C., Canada V9S 4B5.
Editor-in-chief: Suzanne Gregory
Research and Correspondent Associates and Contributors: Dave Cull, Peter
Carter, Julie Johnston, and Caspar Davis of Vancouver Island;   Eva Lyman
Vacek, Vancouver;  Ian Woods of Monetary Reform, Ontario;   Bob Olsen,
Ontario;   James Gibb Stuart, Scotland;   Philip Lyth, New Zealand.
International news sharing associate (Europe): 'Positive News Quarterly',
Editor Jane Taylor.
END