Re: Author or Creator element

Jeremy Frumkin <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 04 Feb 1999 10:17:33 -0700

Peter -

The term "author" included in the name "author or creator" seems rather
arbitrary. Why not have as the element name "author or painter or
composer or ..... sculptor or creator."? Simplifying the name to just
"creator" does not cause the the element name to rise to a level of
abstraction where semantic understanding is unclear or not easily
obtainable. The term creator really encompasses author - but in this
case we place it on the same level as author, therefore use of "Author
or Creator" implies a binary choice of allowable values for the element
- i.e. only values that are specifically "authors" or values that are
specifically "creators". The question of other allowable "creators" in
the "author or creator" element was brought up by participants in the
metadata seminars taught by the OCLC Institute.

On the other hand, I understand that the term author is often the
traditional term used for creator, and therefore the appeal of including
it in the name. If people are against changing the actual name, then I
suggest, for further clarification in the definition, we say something
like the following:

"The person(s) or organization(s) primarily responsible for creating the
intellectual content of the resource. Examples include (but are not
limited to) authors, in the case of written documents, and artists,
photographers, or illustrators, in the case of visual resources."

One other note about the above definition: I added the possible plurals
to person and organization, because the definition, as it reads now,
implies that there may be only 1 author or creator for a resource.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Frumkin