Re: June 18th Protest

David Wood <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Feb 1999 09:50:35 +0000

text/plain

Darryl D'Monte wrote:

>I think your idea of holding an international day of protest against
>globalisation is good, but I do feel there ought to be more consultation
>with the South about its timing.
>In much of India, for instance,  it is likely to be raining very heavily
>on June 18, which effectively rules out any outdoor protest. It was the
>same North-centric  approach   when Americans decided on Earth Day in
>April -- when it is far too hot all over much of Asia to be in the open.
>Especially on a subject like globalisation, we ought to fax a date which
>is convenient to everybody!

Interesting to hear about the rainy season- however it isn't me or anyone
in the North who has directly decided to have the day of protest on this
day - it was actually called by Peoples' Global Action, an umbrella group
of protest movements in LDCs, mostly in India (Karnakata State Farmers
etc.)!!

There is indirect northern responsibility for this date however - it is the
first day of the G-8 summit this year which is taking place in Koln,
Germany. What we are trying to do is to bring the voices of the South to
the North. Huge demonstrations in India have largely gone unnoticed by
western media and by politicians in the North. This day is a way of
allowing the South a voice in the North. A major part of it involves the
physical presence of groups from the South at the conference and elsewhere
in Europe around this time and an alternative summit (see fowarded messages
below).

It would also be great to have a co-ordinated date in the South - perhaps
around the time of the APEC summit, or similar regional cpaitalist
organisation's annual meeting. We have got to build this movement as deeply
and widely as possible...

David.

David Wood.
Press Officer