Re: Alphabetic listing of e-journals

Mieko Yamaguchi <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:05:41 +0000 (GMT)

TEXT/PLAIN

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Melvin Morbey wrote:

> Would anyone on the list who has created and/or maintains a list of
> their available e-journals in alphabetic order of title care to say how
> they did it? Are there clever pieces of software which can help create
> or maintain such a list, or is it all done manually? How much time does
> it take to maintain such a list and how often do you update it?

We decided not to maintain a separate database of e-journals but to add
URLs of e-journals in the 856 field of MARC records and generate both
alphabetic and subject lists from the catalogue.

Our library system (INNOPAC) has a facility to create an HTML file on the
fly based on a subset of bibliographic records.  Each time we add new
e-journals to the catalogue we add their record numbers to an internal
list and use the system's utility to sort the records alphabetically by
title.

We create subject lists from the same subset of catalogue records by
exporting titles and record numbers as ASCII files and using a macro to
turn them into HTML format.

In both lists clicking on a title takes the user to the catalogue entry
for the journal rather than to the journal's URL itself.  This means an
extra mouse click for the user but it makes the maintenance of the lists
much easier.  Currently we only indicate that we have online access to
"recent issues" or the "archive", but plan to add dates of online coverage
as we do for printed journals in the catalogue.

Keeping URLs for e-journals in the catalogue has another advantage - where
external databases can be linked to the OPAC to check holdings, users can
not only see if the library holds the journal but also access full text
directly if it is available electronically.

You can access these lists at
http://library.bangor.ac.uk/screens/e_journal.html

Mieko
-----
Mieko Yamaguchi                                [log in to unmask]
Technical Services Manager/System Coordinator        +44 (0)1248 382970
Main Library, University of Wales Bangor, UK   +44 (0)1248 382979 (Fax)