Re: Fatigue Analysis with FEA

Kamaiton Wongkaew <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:19:33 -0500 (EST)

TEXT/PLAIN

Hi Greg,

Overloading can be beneficial or detrimental to the structure's useful
life depending on whether the overloading causes compressive (good, in
most case) residual stress or tensile (usually bad) residual stress.

If you have a few loading cycles that cause yielding, it might be a good
idea to use "strain-life" approach instead of stress-life approach. This
topic is found in most books on Fatige Analysis.

Please note that this is a view from a person who had taken a course on
Fatigue and hence may be limited or impractical. Other feusers members who
have hand-on experience may be able to give you a better insight.

Kamaiton Wongkaew

Ph.D. Candidate
Structures Area
School of Civil Engineering