DATA-PROTECTION 1999

Re: Payslip advertising

"Elizabeth Petley" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Nov 1999 14:23:30 +0000

I've had a similar situation - mailings advertising financial
services sent to all staff (although not included with the payslip).
I'm still trying to find out who in Finance/Personnel is responsible
for sending out the mailings and in the first instance have insisted
that they exclude the one person who has so far asked to opt out from
future mailings (this person specifically quoted the DPA 1998). I
also feel though that payroll data was collected for the purpose of
paying staff etc. and it is unfair to use it for marketing purposes -
but I feel I need to look into terms and conditions of employment,
our registration, etc. before insisting that the mailings stop
completely. It may be that we have informed staff that we intend to
do this and are registered for it.

Liz Petley
Aston University

> Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:53:46 -0000
> Subject:       Payslip advertising
> From:          [log in to unmask]
> To:            [log in to unmask]

> We currently have an agreement with a marketing company for payroll
> advertising. Under the new Act, if someone objects to the use of their
> personal data for direct marketing purposes, then there is a clear
> obligation to cease the activity & if that happened, we would have to
> suppress advertising to that particular individual or stop altogether.

> What do others think?
> Gail Waters
> Data Protection Coordinator
> Open University

Elizabeth Petley
Assistant Registrar
Registry & Planning Services
Aston University
Aston Triangle
Birmingham
B4 7ET

Tel: (0121) 359 3611 Fax: (0121) 333 6350