UK-NEXTSTEP-USERS Archives

UK-NEXTSTEP-USERS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

UK-NEXTSTEP-USERS Home

UK-NEXTSTEP-USERS  1999

UK-NEXTSTEP-USERS 1999

Re: OmniWeb timings

David Andrew Knight <[log in to unmask]>

David Andrew Knight <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 May 1999 15:32:29 +0100

Hi,

You wrote:
> } and your point about this free piece of beta software is...
>
> I think the point John's making is that it's rather slow (and horribly so
> at rendering large tables). Although the above comparisons are somewhat
> arbitrary, since the platforms were also all different, it is qualitatively
> obvious that OWeb is very sluggish (I have run OWeb/NS3.3 and Netscape
> 4/RHLinux 5.2 on the same PC, and the difference is marked).

It may be slow on somebodies narrow range of test pages but its pretty good
on the stuff we view here. Whilst I won't disagree that it does have problems
rendering some pages, is slower and is missing some stuff I will hold
comment until I see a proper commercially released product, then when
somebody is asking me to pay for it I will criticise it.

> The importance of having a web browser is emphasised by the fact that
> OmniWeb is the only 3rd-party app included in the standard MOSXS
> installation. It's arguably the highest-profile non-Apple element of the
> system, and it's a real shame that it's still so lacking (Java/script?).
> The fact that Omni don't presently have any real competition is evidenced
> by the fact that they seem more intent on playing with Quake than with
> getting the major bugs out of their browser.

Agreed and maybe Apple should be doing something about that, but I think
they view OSX-Server as just that, a server product, and think the gap will
be filled by Blue and Carbon apps when OSX-Client turns up. As for OPENSTEP
users, I feel Apple view that as a dead platform :-(

At the end of the day the question is why should Omni divert their resources
on a product which earns them little revenue ?

---
Regards David Knight
OneStep Solutions Plc