HUMOUR-RESEARCH 1999

Re: Title for this field of inquiry.

Solomon Davidoff <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:55:46 +0100 (BST)

While the title "Humorist" has already been taken by those who
create and present humor, I would try to avoid the obvious
alternate of "Humorologist." Not only is it mixing languages
in a manner that feels, well, "icky" to me *grin*, I would
suggest that while we have focused on studying aspects of
humor and related fields (as the initial post describes), we
do so under the banner of a variety of disciplines. We investigate
humor as sociologists, as cultural theorists, as anthropologists, as
political scientists, and in innumerable other fields. . . .
but in an interdisciplinary manner.

This is a debate going on in a number of fields today. I am going
to receive a doctorate in American Culture Studies . . . but what
am I? A Culturologist?

-Solomon Davidoff
 Bowling Green State University

>What is the best name for our field?
>
>The Society uses the term 'humor studies'
>and the journal uses 'humor research'
>as does this mailing list.
>
>Both of these seem fine to me.
>
>Some of us study laughter specifically,
>and might prefer to include 'gel'
>
>Some of us study triggers for humor
>(jokes, farce, situational, etc.)
>and might prefer the term 'comedy'
>
>Some of us are more interested in the
>phenomenological response to triggers,
>and might want to incorporate 'mirth'
>
>Others are interested in sociological factors
>surrounding instances of humor, and so forth.
>
>Perhaps the only thing we all have in common
>is reflected in the umbrella term 'humor'
>
>Although it is a little too cute for my tastes,
>might the term 'humorology' be most appropriate?

>www.Jim-Lyttle.com

	Solomon Davidoff
	Bowling Green State University
Ethnic Studies	American Culture Studies