HUMOUR-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

HUMOUR-RESEARCH Home

HUMOUR-RESEARCH  1999

HUMOUR-RESEARCH 1999

Re: ISHS Conference?

[log in to unmask] (lm36)

Thu, 08 Jul 99 15:16 EDT

>Do any kind souls want to share some of the highlights of Oakland
>conference with those of us who weren't able to get there?
>
>Jase
>--
>Dr Jason Rutter
>ESRC Centre for Research on Innovation and Competition (CRIC)
>Tom Lupton Suite, University Precinct Centre
>Oxford Road, Manchester. M13 9QH
>Ph: (0161) 275 6859  Fax: (0161) 275 7361 - http://les.man.ac.uk/cric/

Jase,
Sorry for the confusion in trying to respond to this and to your other
message about the print version of the bibliography.  The latter was
apparently sent out over the list when it should have been directed to you
personally and this present one went out sans text on the first try.  To
those whose mailboxes I'm cluttering with my techno-ineptness, I sincerely
apologize.
Anyway, as for the conference: the program was superb.  The general sessions
were useful in defining a broad sense of what kinds of things people are
doing, and the presentations of Christie Davies, Alan Dundes, Peter Derks,
Rod Martin, Gina Barreca and the others were inspiring.  The specifically
defined functions of breakout sessions in which related papers were grouped,
symposia in which topics were less formally introduced and discussed, and
workshops in which conferees interested in particular enterprises could
participate worked nicely.  The site worked well, particularly in terms of
social interaction.  It seemed to me that we were a closer group than one
finds at most conferences, despite our wide range of interests (see
below)--and we spent a lot of time together at the dorm, at meals, and in the
many schmooze sessions during the break.  People definitely got to know one
another.
The most striking thing for me still is how multi-disciplinary and
multi-faceted we are.  The academic research ranged from scientific inquiries
into the physiological effects of laughter to social science examination of
the motives and functions of humor, to theoretical studies of how jokes work,
psychological studies of humor and personality, historical research,
cross-cultural comparison, all kinds of genre studies including literature,
media, music, art, and others, and probably more I'm not remembering off
hand.  Additionally the professional humorists and people who use humor in
their professions were well represented, and perhaps more fully integrated
with the academic types than in previous years, at least in the conferences
I've attended over the years.
So it was a great conference and a most worthwhile experience.
Larry Mintz>