HUMOUR-RESEARCH 1999

Re: How Exciting is Humour-Research?

John McCallum <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:39:12 +1000

Jase,

Of course the most exciting is ... well, ours.  The analysis of the
multiple looped interactions that take place in the moment of live
performance.  At the moment we are beginning to apply a range of different
approaches to understanding what happens in the Room between a stand-up
comedian and his or her audience.  It is a highly complex comic situation,
that cannot be studied in a laboratory (I once tried it, setting up a
performance for study - it doesn't work - you have to go out into the
field).  We will have an even more complex situation when  we start adding
sketch-based and theatrical comedy!

Cheers

(Give my regards to Manchester!)

John

>I recently was asked the following question  by a representative of the
>Science Museum in London, "What do you feel is the most exciting branch of
>humour research currently?"
>
>Of course, is very easy to reply with a flippant, "Mine" but was struck
>with the feeling that having not managed to get to the ISHS conference over
>the last couple of year I was missing "the vibe" which surrounds people's
>research.
>
>How exciting is the work everyone's doing at the moment? What sort of thing
>are in the pipeline? How would everyone else have handled such a question?
>
>Jase
>--
>Dr Jason Rutter
>ESRC Centre for Research on Innovation and Competition (CRIC)
>Tom Lupton Suite, University Precinct Centre
>Oxford Road, Manchester. M13 9QH
>Ph: (0161) 275 6859  Fax: (0161) 275 7361 - http://les.man.ac.uk/cric/

John McCallum					Ph: (+61) 02 9385 4855
School of Theatre Film and Dance		Fax:(+61) 02 9662 2335
UNSW  Sydney 2052
Australia