HUMOUR-RESEARCH 1999

Re: How Exciting is Humour-Research?

Mary Ann Rishel <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 02 Jun 1999 09:25:48 -0400

Hello from Ithaca.  Given the interdisciplinarity of the field, I don't
think there's any one special area that's "most exciting," but for my
specific interests, I offer as a start "creativity theory" and text
analysis, a field wide open.  Some humor scholars include "creating
humor" in their definition of "perception," but that's only a beginning,
and we must address the work of composition, cognition, communication
and creativity theorists, both inside and outside humor.  Most important
to my work is the continuing research of Raskin, Attardo and Chlopicki,
such as Salvatore's article in the Humor J 1998 (11-3) The analysis of
humorous narratives.  I'll be interested to see the comments of other
colleagues.    Mary Ann    [log in to unmask]

Mary Ann Rishel
Associate Professor - Writing
204 Williams Hall
Ithaca College