Help for HUMOUR-RESEARCH Archives

HUMOUR-RESEARCH Archives

HUMOUR-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

HUMOUR-RESEARCH Home

HUMOUR-RESEARCH  1999

HUMOUR-RESEARCH 1999

Re: Meaning of "comic" in different English-speaking cultures

Willibald Ruch <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:49:57 +0000

Responding to the message of <v01530504b2e70fd5c8a7@[131.217.103.49]>
from [log in to unmask]:

> Hello all,
>  I am afraid it is another question!
>
> In my research I am constructing a variant of Thorson and Powell's
> Mulitidimensional Sense of Humor Scale for use with children in a school
> setting.

> Again, the wisdom of list members will be much appreciated (especially if
> it reduces the need for me to experimentally re-validate that item !)

Ken,

if resources permit do a complete evaluation of the entire scale in a larger
sample of children (N > 150) BEFORE you do your main study. Scales designed for
adults are not necessarily applicable to children as the meaning (of items, but
also fo the whole scale) might change and you might measure something different
than Thorson and Powell intended to measure with adults. Too often people do
interesting studies with perhaps valid hypotheses but fail to verify them by
using ad hoc measures, or poor measures, or sheer translations rather than
adaptations, or measures not intended for that population. In her chapter on the
development of the sense of humor Doris Bergen writes about her experiences with
3 measures of adult sense of humor that have been applied to teens.

I am happy to hear about your study. We do not know much about "sense of humor"
during that age; is it expressed in the same way as in adults so that the same
items can be used? Perhaps we would need to start sampling items from scratch
based on observations made with that age range.

In any case, I am looking forward to your report on how to measure sense of
humor in school children. If the adaptation works out well you should share your
results as currently we do not have any published assessment tool for that age
range (a report about Beth Manke's scale is in preparation though).

Best regards

Willibald Ruch