HUMOUR-RESEARCH 1999

RE: re photographic humour

AF701300 <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:16:46 -0000

Thankyou, this sounds like the way to approach this subject. Yes, the
difference is that photography has an indexical link with reality, whereas
cartoons, as you said, are designed to be humorous. I think that photographs
are possibly not inherently humorous, but reality often is, and so
representations of this should have a large potential to be humorous. The
idea of debate about Contrived and "real" photographs is an interesting one.
If we look at "real" photographs to have adopted the style of.."real"
photographs, then we can see that all images are contrived. This 'style'
however, will affect our reading of the image, which is another factor to be
considered when analysing the humour of a photograph.
	Thank you, as you can see, you have set off some trains of thought!

Philip Welding.