HUMOUR-RESEARCH 1999

Re: your mail

Rokuo Tanaka <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Nov 1999 22:20:17 -1000

TEXT/PLAIN

To: Philip

Greetings from the Islands of Paradise.

I am wondering if you could find humor in some of commercial photographs
that appear in the daily papers or weekly, monthly magazines, or not.

Your message promptly reminded me of a prize winning photo-advertisement
depicting Woody Allen ( you know who he is, don't you?) in kimono,
sitting in a Japanese style in a Japanese room, and holding a brush as if
he were calligraphing a ad-copy on a large rectangular scroll.
"Incongruity" is the word to fit this photo-ad. Want me to send a copy
from the book entitled _Japanese Design_?

With warm Aloha
Rokuo Tanaka
Graduate Student
University of Hawaii at Manoa